Vashon Island High School is a highly rated, public school located in Vashon, WA. It has 576 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Vashon Island High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+97 Students
- B+67 Students
- A-53 Students
- B+35 Students
- A29 Students
- A-27 Students
- A27 Students
- A-23 Students
- A+23 Students
- A+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Schools like Vashon Island High School
- ALiberty Senior High School
- Issaquah School District, WA
- 243 reviews
- A+Bainbridge High School
- Bainbridge Island School District, WA
- 226 reviews
- A+Mercer Island High School
- Mercer Island School District, WA
- 191 reviews
- A-Tahoma Senior High School
- Tahoma School District, WA
- 456 reviews
Vashon Island High School Reviews
I had an amazing four years at VHS! The classes range in difficulty, but most core classes, especially APs, are pretty challenging (but manageable). I wish we had been offered more AP classes and electives, but there aren't enough students to fill them all. However, having 100 people in your class is beneficial, because you can get one-on-one help from teachers and you can get to know them pretty well (i.e. good recommendation letters). The social aspect of VHS is very inclusive. The academics at VHS are held with pretty high regard in comparison to other high schools in the state. About 25-30% of my class were commuters from off-island. The school was rebuilt about two years ago and the architecture is beautiful. At VHS, classes may be difficult, you'll have a lot of homework, and tests will be worth a large part of your grade, but it prepares you well for college and sends graduating students out of the school, ready to take on their futures.
Vashon Island High School has an amazing and supportive atmosphere with some great teachers and programs. The school facilities are very nice and students are held to a high academic standard. The school could benefit from greater diversity in students, teachers, and administration. The school also needs to improve the resources for students needing additional support and students with IEPs.
Vashon Island High School has great options for after school activities. There is a wide variety of sports for those who like athletics, and options such as theatre and debate for those who seek other options! Our clubs, such as Outdoors Club and Amnesty International, provide field trips and real-world experience.