Vandercook Lake High School is a public school located in Jackson, MI. It has 574 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 20% of students are at least proficient in math and 36% in reading.
Vandercook Lake High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C-80 Students
- B+59 Students
- A45 Students
- B40 Students
- B-38 Students
- B+37 Students
- A+32 Students
- B23 Students
- B20 Students
- C+14 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Vandercook Lake High School
- C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- 56 reviews
- C+Addison Junior/Senior High School
- Addison Community Schools, MI
- 43 reviews
- BWestern High School
- Western School District, MI
- 311 reviews
- B-Northwest High School
- Northwest Community Schools, MI
- 188 reviews
Vandercook Lake High School Reviews
I attended VCL my whole life and there were only a few good teachers at the school who have recently been laid off. If you played sports in high school the teachers were much more likely to befriend you. This caused an extreme amount of unfairness when it came to everything. Even the athletic director took to favoriting students. If you were someone she liked you’d go under the radar. So many times people played when they were ineligible. Sports were taken more seriously than academics. The school attempted to take advantage of us when trying to dual enroll. The state actually had to be called on them because they were not following the rules when it came to dual enrollment protocol. I had to fight to have the school pay for the classes and I am extremely lucky I did. Because even though I wanna as a 4.0 student and played sports I struggled in college my first year, and I wasn’t the only one. Vandercook lake does not do their job in preparing their students for college.
Vandercook has a very good community, but I would like to see the classes and teachers have an "upgrade". There is almost no variety in classes and only one AP class available. They do offer dual enrollment through the Jackson College, although.
Throughout my twelve years of attending Vandercook Lake Schools, my overall experience has been pretty great. Even though it is the only school I have ever known, I have to say that it is a fantastic school. The teaching staff is awesome, and even the staff that are not teachers are very helpful. They all go out of their way and do their best to help each and every student. The academics are also very good, I believe that the school has done a very good job preparing their students for the SAT and even college. While I am at school I feel very safe as well. With the officer in the building everyday, and practicing drills in case of an emergency helps me to feel safe while at school. Overall I think that Vandercook Lake is a great school and it has helped me become the person I am today.