Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C
- Diversitygrade B
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade C
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade C+
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C minus
Vandercook Lake High School is a public school located in Jackson, MI. It has 494 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 11% of students are at least proficient in math and 20% in reading.
Vandercook Lake High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C minus84 Students
- grade B+61 Students
- grade A49 Students
- grade B43 Students
- grade B minus41 Students
- grade B+41 Students
- grade A+36 Students
- grade B minus26 Students
- grade B20 Students
- grade B14 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 4 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 7 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,750 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 8 responses
Schools like Vandercook Lake High School
- grade C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 57 reviews
- grade C+Addison Junior/Senior High School
- Addison Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.58 out of 5 43 reviews
- grade BWestern High School
- Western School District, MI
- Rating 3.71 out of 5 316 reviews
- grade B minusNorthwest High School
- Northwest Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.7 out of 5 196 reviews
Vandercook Lake High School Reviews
Rating 3.11 out of 5 44 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I’m definitely glad I decided to move schools! I love how mostly everyone is close like family. I also love the support we get from teachers and staff in academics and also during sporting events! I would like to see change when it comes to preparation for each students future!
I attended VCL my whole life and there were only a few good teachers at the school who have recently been laid off. If you played sports in high school the teachers were much more likely to befriend you. This caused an extreme amount of unfairness when it came to everything. Even the athletic director took to favoriting students. If you were someone she liked you’d go under the radar. So many times people played when they were ineligible. Sports were taken more seriously than academics. The school attempted to take advantage of us when trying to dual enroll. The state actually had to be called on them because they were not following the rules when it came to dual enrollment protocol. I had to fight to have the school pay for the classes and I am extremely lucky I did. Because even though I wanna as a 4.0 student and played sports I struggled in college my first year, and I wasn’t the only one. Vandercook lake does not do their job in preparing their students for college.
Vandercook Lake was a school where I really had to learn for myself. This school offered little to no opportunities when it came to furthering my education. There were barely any staff for extra classes and there were not any electives. I hope this school can better their education and staff for future graduates.