Valparaiso High School
- Valparaiso, IN
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade C
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
Valparaiso High School is a highly rated, public school located in Valparaiso, IN. It has 2,054 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 51% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Valparaiso High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A587 Students
- grade A+508 Students
- grade B+311 Students
- grade B271 Students
- grade B253 Students
- grade A minus187 Students
- grade B169 Students
- grade C+149 Students
- grade B124 Students
- grade A+97 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade A
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 47 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 47 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 139 responses
- Spirit week for the dances14%
- April Antics14%
- This is our story11%
- Football games9%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 54 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 54 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 54 responses
Average Teacher Salary
No data available
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 73 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 73 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 73 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,631 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 78 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 78 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 78 responses
Schools like Valparaiso High School
- grade AChesterton Senior High School
- Duneland School Corporation, IN
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 478 reviews
- grade B+Wheeler High School
- Union Township School Corporation, IN
- Rating 3.76 out of 5 103 reviews
- grade ACrown Point High School
- Crown Point Community School Corporation, IN
- Rating 3.96 out of 5 422 reviews
- grade B minusHebron High School
- Metropolitan School District of Boone Township, IN
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 66 reviews
Valparaiso High School Reviews
Rating 3.69 out of 5 483 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Valparaiso High School is filled with outstanding students and staff! I feel safe at school every day and I can tell that my teachers actually want to teach us students important lessons. If I do not understand something, I know that I can talk to a teacher and they will take the time to explain the lesson to me in greater detail. I have made everlasting friendships and I trust my teachers. My high school is also filled with amazing sports teams that taught me how to be a true competitor. Everybody at my school loves some healthy competition and we maintain that by staying positive and never giving up. My school also has numerous clubs and activities ensuring that everybody feels involved! Valparaiso High School is the best!
I really liked all my classes and the teaching levels that were established. I also liked being able to just wear my sweats to school, so I was comfortable. What I would like to see change is the strict guidelines for girls and the loose guidelines for guys. A girl can't show her shoulder but a guy can sag and show his underwear! How is that fair?
The teachers here were some of the best teachers I have had in my entire high school career, they showed a true desire to help their students understand concepts being taught. I also commend VHS for it's excellent mental health improvement approaches. I suffer from both clinical depression and GAD, Student Services was always available and I was always encouraged to speak to my counselor and/or a social worker when I was feeling overwhelmed. However, the diversity at this school was downright awful. All of my advanced classes contained only white people and I found that really disturbing.