Valley Stream South High School is a highly rated, public school located in Valley Stream, NY. It has 1,242 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 83% in reading.
Valley Stream South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-91 Students
- A+79 Students
- B+65 Students
- B62 Students
- B60 Students
- A-57 Students
- B47 Students
- B44 Students
- A+42 Students
- C40 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 43 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like Valley Stream South High School
- A-Valley Stream North High School
- Valley Stream Central High School District, NY
- 116 reviews
- ANew Hyde Park Memorial High School
- Sewanhaka Central High School District, NY
- 132 reviews
- A-West Hempstead High School
- West Hempstead Union Free School District, NY
- 147 reviews
- A-Baldwin Senior High School
- Baldwin Union Free School District, NY
- 450 reviews
Valley Stream South High School Reviews
The diversity is incredible! South also has a lot of clubs and activities. There are also many caring and loving teachers. However, the school is slightly overpopulated due to the district's policy allowing students to petition to attend any high school they'd like to as long as they live in Valley Stream. Also, some work needs to be done with the facilities; as well as the overall organization of the school and communication with students and parents.
What I can say I enjoy the most about Valley Stream South High School is the diversity. When you step into the school you know that you are in a safe and welcoming environment. The teachers working here are not only teachers but mentors, there are some who you can go to to talk to your problems to and can help you solve them. Our school has been ranted a National School of Character. Recently, the girls Varsity Soccer Team were reigned State Champions . Along with having the girls win their championship for the past year the girls Varsity track Team have won All-County Champs and even moved on to Penn State. Two of our track stars ranked above top 7 in the state. This school is very involved in the community and there is something for everyone to do from Cultural Society Club and Newspaper to joining a sport or being apart of the debate team.
The school is extremely diverse with a variety of clubs and sports to keep students engaged in school life. There are plenty of opportunities to take AP courses, as well as online courses through the school. The food has room for improvement in regards to quality and taste, and there are not many options to choose from. The majority of the faculty do an excellent job of teaching the students, and we also have increased security precautions on campus.