Valley Stream North High School is a highly rated, public school located in Franklin Square, NY. It has 1,351 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 74% in reading.
Valley Stream North High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-102 Students
- B+96 Students
- B94 Students
- A+79 Students
- A-68 Students
- B+67 Students
- B64 Students
- B58 Students
- A+52 Students
- C49 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Valley Stream North High School
- AValley Stream South High School
- Valley Stream Central High School District, NY
- 174 reviews
- AW. Tresper Clarke High School
- East Meadow Union Free School District, NY
- 104 reviews
- A-West Hempstead High School
- West Hempstead Union Free School District, NY
- 147 reviews
- A-Baldwin Senior High School
- Baldwin Union Free School District, NY
- 450 reviews
Valley Stream North High School Reviews
As someone who now works at a thriving and nationally ranked NYC public school, I can now see that my educational experience at North HS was adequate, but not excellent. I graduated in 2013 so things could have changed by now, but from what I remember the extracurricular activities were lacking for those who did not wish to participate in sports. On paper, they may have a small array of non-sport extracurriculars, however after joining a few I quickly realized they were disorganized, underfunded, and in some cases ran by teachers with little passion for the club. Academically, this school excels, however I wish there were more AP class options for students. Extra help is a great program for students that are struggling with a class or just need a place to do their homework, and the advanced and regular course offerings provide students with the ability to learn at their own pace.
So far, Valley Stream North is in bad condition. Foul smells from the cafeteria to even huge leaks from the ceiling that reaches the classrooms. A huge chunk of the ceiling was missing because of the leaks in my science classroom. Furthermore, broken sinks are often overflowing with water on the lab tables. The school is in such bad condition that whenever a student or teacher sees anything of poor condition he/she would say, “welcome to valley Stream North”. the quote is meant as a joke because vsn’s facility is outdated.
My experience at Valley Stream North High School was a very positive one. I received an excellent education which has prepared me for my next educational endeavor in college. My teachers were always available to help in any way including academically and emotionally. My mother fought breast cancer twice while I have been in high school, and the teachers and guidance counselors were extremely supportive and helpful. Without their support, I would have had a much more difficult time keeping up my grades. I am extremely happy with the education that I received at Valley Stream North High School.