Urbandale High School is an above average, public school located in Urbandale, IA. It has 1,301 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
Urbandale High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A258 Students
- A243 Students
- B+115 Students
- B-106 Students
- A73 Students
- B-61 Students
- B+39 Students
- B33 Students
- A-26 Students
- B24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Urbandale High School
- BSoutheast Polk High School
- Southeast Polk Community School District, IA
- 248 reviews
- B+Carlisle High School
- Carlisle Community School District, IA
- 89 reviews
- BBondurant-Farrar High School
- Bondurant-Farrar Community School District, IA
- 136 reviews
- A-Dallas Center - Grimes High School
- Dallas Center-Grimes Community School District, IA
- 93 reviews
Urbandale High School Reviews
In general Urbandale High School is an above average school. It offers a wide variety of classes and the staff are constantly making improvements so that the students can have the best expierience possible. Some of the things I like about this high school are the class size; the curriculum within the math, social studies, and business areas, the opportunity to retake assessments, and the overall student body. This being said there are definitely many things that need to be changed. The biggest thing that needs to be changed is the curriculum within the language arts sector. I feel that although they force us out of our comfort zone they don't teach about grammar at all. This teaching needs to start at the lower level classes. The entire curriculum for any foreign language needs to be changed. The point of taking four years of foreign language is to be fluent in it. If you asked most students they would say they are not anywhere near fluent.
Urbandale high school gave a depiction of high school and how it does not look like at all that is on TV. Of course, there has been instead of where I am like how are we all not on a sitcom. But I am glad I got my high school experience here because it set me up to be a somewhat functioning adult. If I could give the advice to make the school better for incoming students I would just say that have everyone take classes like business, food and nutrition, computers, health, and Government. Which there of those classes are requirements but two important ones that will help you the most in life are not and those of foods and nutrients, and business. Schools should better prepare kids for adulthood by teaching them things like how to cook for yourself, and how to file taxes.
The four years I attended urbandale highschool were some of the best memories I have ever had and will cherish forever. Urbandale highschool staff made sure every student was doing there very best and ensured all students were learning the curriculum that was required. When a child needed help they were always there to help and solve the problem. The teachers are awesome!