Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Urbandale High School is an above average, public school located in Urbandale, IA. It has 1,309 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 81% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Urbandale High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A290 Students
- grade A275 Students
- grade B+133 Students
- grade B minus119 Students
- grade A85 Students
- grade B minus64 Students
- grade B46 Students
- grade B minus40 Students
- grade A minus31 Students
- grade B29 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 65 responses
- Football games23%
- Homecoming week20%
- Show choir events9%
- Basketball games8%
- after prom6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$14,316 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 32 responses
Schools like Urbandale High School
- grade BSoutheast Polk High School
- Southeast Polk Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.79 out of 5 266 reviews
- grade BCarlisle High School
- Carlisle Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.84 out of 5 94 reviews
- grade B minusBondurant-Farrar High School
- Bondurant-Farrar Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.56 out of 5 140 reviews
- grade A minusDallas Center - Grimes High School
- Dallas Center-Grimes Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.93 out of 5 102 reviews
Urbandale High School Reviews
Rating 3.62 out of 5 193 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
In general Urbandale High School is an above average school. It offers a wide variety of classes and the staff are constantly making improvements so that the students can have the best expierience possible. Some of the things I like about this high school are the class size; the curriculum within the math, social studies, and business areas, the opportunity to retake assessments, and the overall student body. This being said there are definitely many things that need to be changed. The biggest thing that needs to be changed is the curriculum within the language arts sector. I feel that although they force us out of our comfort zone they don't teach about grammar at all. This teaching needs to start at the lower level classes. The entire curriculum for any foreign language needs to be changed. The point of taking four years of foreign language is to be fluent in it. If you asked most students they would say they are not anywhere near fluent.
I loved being a student at Urbandale High School. The teachers and staff are so caring and kind. The students are as well. The only thing I think Urbandale could improve on is diversity. This isn't really something the school can fix. They can add more diverse teachers but they can't change the students. The sports teams are very fun to be apart of. Also, they excel at the arts. This is probably due to the effort that goes into them. Many schools fund sports much more than they fund the arts. This cannot be said about Urbandale. They fund the arts very well and due to this many students have gone on to have careers in the arts.
This year has been a difficult year due to Covid-19 and being in a hybrid learning model most of the year. The school district has done a good job reaching out to students and providing technology to allow for continued learning but on the days we are not in school, we have no instruction with teachers which has made it difficult for some students. Overall, this is a good school district with good education/academics.