Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyC
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Upson-Lee High School is a public school located in Thomaston, GA. It has 1,224 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 24% of students are at least proficient in math and 49% in reading.
Upson-Lee High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+235 Students
- B+229 Students
- C200 Students
- B-181 Students
- B171 Students
- B-153 Students
- B-145 Students
- B+115 Students
- B100 Students
- B93 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.27 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.27 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Upson-Lee High School Reviews
I believe that Upson-Lee High school is your basic, mediocre high-school in America. Understaffed, underfunded, and rooted in football. There is not much focus on creativity, but more on sports. Even then, most sports are pushed aside regarding funding and publicity, and football holds its spot in the spotlight. Secondly, there are not many opportunities for students to succeed. Counselors help out to an extent, but not as much as they should. Teachers tend to leave students in the dust. Overall, Upson-Lee High School does not give much of an effort for the students to fully succeed in all aspects of education.
Fights break out constantly and drugs are not nonexistent at school. Some teachers react poorly to students and even sometimes curse at them. School counseling isn't great at all and school food can sometimes be sickening. Kids constantly walk around throwing racial slurs and curse words, and many do drugs in the school bathrooms. Roaches and other bugs and spiders have been found in school bathrooms, graffiti and burning of school property like textbooks occurs often. Students get arrested for fighting and the abuse of illegal substances. Some teachers focus more on talking to students instead of teaching, but many value the student education.
My name is Imon Kendall and so far my experience at my high school has been great! The energy is pumped up 24/7 especially on game days, I'm a cheerleader so I enjoy it alot.We have the best basketball team in Georgia , we are currently 61-0 so I guess you can assume that we love our Knights. Football and soccer are also important sports in our school system.For the most part we get along well considering we're the only high school in our county,so we don't have any big rivalrys . There's teachers you can talk too if needed , the counselors are also good . We have a school resource officer that makes us feel safe,and is also very caring of all the students. For example after the school shooting in Florida he brought in extra deputies to make us feel safe i could go on and on about the amazing things here at Upson-Lee but I'm running out of characters . I hope I've helped you receive a good glimpse of my high school !