University High School Reviews

This is a great high school for students to feel involved in. The staff goes above and beyond to help the students feel comfortable and accepted. This is a great school for the arts and music but does not contribute a lot to the sports world. UHS helps prepare their students for college and works had to keep all of their students on the right track.
I'm a senior and for the past 4 years, I have loved every teacher at UHS, they are all passionate about teaching and have had a strong education. Since UHS is on Fresno State's Campus, we have opportunities to take any college coures we would like and experience college life beginning Sophomore year. All the students are friendly and welcoming, I believe everyone strives to be Understanding Honorable and Studious! UHS's athletic teams, have grown alot since my freshman year. Academics is what we do best! The workload seems like alot, but if you follow
the routine and not procrastinate, it's easy to do! My favorite thing this school has, is the faculty. Everyone knows you by your Junior year and your Councilors are there for you since freshman year. Overall, we are like a big family and every class takes care of eachother.
I really like the teachers who all help you learn and motivate you to do better. Not only is it about the curriculum, but the real world is also incorporated.
Start Your Review of University High School
My son was having anxiety and depression problems. We tried a 504 plan. But it failed. They didn't have ANY sort of counselor beyond like the academic counselor. They told me they would have to contract out for a psychologist if I wanted one for help with the 504 plan and that would take MONTHS! My son was in dire need and the school need next to nothing to help him. His depression got so bad I had to pull him and he ended up on independent study with NO CREDITS for the previous semester because he left before it was over and UHS refused to give him the credits. The counselor basically blamed me. If your child has anxiety or depression I would really think twice about this school. Another thing is that my son is mixed, half black/half white. My son was one of very few POC. Also the kids there have a LOT of money. My son got a scholarship because we are low income. But he felt very different from the other kids.
I came to University High school as a junior transfer, and I am throughly pleased with my decision. The atmosphere was not only welcoming when I arrived, but all year round. In the classroom, students are encouraged to share their ideas and explore deep concepts. Additionally, it was phenomenal to see that the importance of "what" topic we were learning was as important as the "why" we were learning that topic. Given the smaller class sizes, teachers give more time to helping out students individually in the areas that are needed. The balanced regime of the arts program and academics is perfect for this school and is unlike any other I've seen. Overall, I feel very prepared for college!
If your child has a 504 Plan this school is not a good choice. It has been very challenging to receive accommodations.
Great place for kids who want to be academically ready for college! Great environment filled with people from different cultures, ethnicities, political backgrounds, sexualities, and much more. Kind teachers & caring kids. :-)
University High School is an incredible institution for those who are inspired and dedicated to challenging and improving themselves. The teachers are demanding but fair, the academics are difficult, the students are both competitive and cooperative, and the class size is small. The two-week electives work well, there are a multitude of ap classes offered, and there are many college courses offered. The Fresno State Union is close by, far surpassing any cafeteria food. The students are unique, motivated, and understanding of one another. The school is definitely the best in central California, and it's rigorous and cohesive academic programs prepare students for college and beyond.
University High School was great at academically preparing you for college, but there should be more diversity and resources for lower-income students.
The environment on campus was nice, as bullying is not a major issue. However, the workload can be intense depending on what the student chooses to take.
I really enjoy how the school was thoroughly thought out for the students. There are many opportunities and resources provided to the students for success. Its small-school environment allows the students to create meaningful connections with each other and their teachers. The rigorous academic programs are effective in preparing the students for their upcoming years in college.
A rigorous school that prepares students for college and life after. Amazing teachers and a great music program as well. Students get access to Fresno State resources and classes through this school.
University high school challenges its students to be the best that they can be and this is shown in both academics and the arts. UHS pushes its students academically in order to get the best education that you can possibly get in a public high school. This school allows students to express themselves in so many different ways whether it be music, art, drama or any of the student run clubs that they have. I never find myself bored or without anything to do at this school. Not only does UHS have an amazing academic program but they also build upon the character of their students in a way that I have never seen before. Students are encouraged to be UHS, Understanding, Honorable and Studious and as you walk to the schools you can tell that that students are just that. To say that UHS is amazing school is an understatement; If I were given the chance to choose high schools again I would stick with UHS. UHS is not a school for that faint at heart, it truly is a college preparatory school.
It is a great experience. It feels like I am at a small college and I do get to take college classes. It is very helpful to get that college experience.
University High School is an amazing college prep high school! It has a much friendlier atmosphere and sense of community than most that I have seen. While the workload can be intense, the teachers really care about individual learning and will sometimes even dial back if they notice that their class is getting too overwhelmed. At UHS, receiving tutoring is encouraged and not looked down upon by other students. Additionally, since the school is so small and everyone takes most of the same classes, it is easy to find classmates and peers who are willing to help and know what each teacher expects. Overall, UHS is a wonderful school that really prepares students for the rigor of college.
I feel safe and comfortable on school and the atmosphere is wonderful. Everyone is so kind and accepting and I feel free there. But I feel like everyone is so competitive and wants everything to be perfect. It's scary to work with those people, but it inspires me. This is a school I wish everyone could go to.
The culture of University High School is unlike any other school in the Central Valley. UHS offers a rigorous academic courseload, with intergration of students into Fresno State. The facilities are well kept, and students act with a high moral code. Although there is a competitive aura, students do their best to lift eachother up.
Start Your Review of University High School
As a college-preparatory, music-oriented charter school, University High makes the most of its name. Its rigorous academics and integration with the Fresno State campus allows upperclassmen to experience college classes, commuting, and food. Plus, the small <500 school size permits a tight-knit community of classmates and faculty, who all can talk to another with little qualms about discussing academics, extracurriculars, or general incoherence. While it is also extremely competitive, people generally lift each other up during stressful times, and through this, build the school up as a whole. As phoenixes, we rise from the ashes to become stronger than ever, together.
Overall, my experience at UHS has been quite a wild ride, but also the best time of my life. It is a school of nerdy, funny, and unique personalities that I will forever cherish having the opportunity to meet - and I will miss them all after graduation this year.
University High School is very challenging. But, it offers a supportive environment that allows kids to tackle college level work with a close-knit community.
UHS is a very welcoming environment that accepts people from any race, background, financial status, etc. They make sure nobody gets left behind and that everybody is treated with equality and equity.