Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Underwood High School is an above average, public school located in Underwood, IA. It has 273 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Underwood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A66 Students
- A55 Students
- C+33 Students
- B29 Students
- B+28 Students
- A-20 Students
- B20 Students
- B19 Students
- B16 Students
- A-15 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Schools like Underwood High School
- B-Tri-Center High School
- Tri-Center Community School District, IA
- 28 reviews
- B+Treynor Middle/High School
- Treynor Community School District, IA
- 113 reviews
- BLewis Central Senior High School
- Lewis Central Community School District, IA
- 209 reviews
- B-Missouri Valley High School
- Missouri Valley Community School District, IA
- 25 reviews
Underwood High School Reviews
I came to Underwood in the middle of 2nd grade and growing up in a school like Underwood was an adjustment. Underwood is such a small school so theirs alot of cliques and I was used to getting along with everyone at my old school. However, even though it wasn't as easy to make friends, I still did. I mad lots of good memories at Underwood and I have learned alot. Underwood has high standards in the academic catergory which better prepares us for college and even for life.
I would say Underwood High School is better than your average school. As a smaller school, the teachers have a better ability to have one-on-one experience with their students. This allows for an overall higher quality of education for students in my opinion. This is something that larger schools just can’t do with such a high number of students. Something I dislike about Underwood High School, though, is their lack of quality of food. If the school can afford to build brand-new facilities for their students (which they did), then they can afford to serve their students something that is actually good for them instead of frozen pizza and nachos.
Underwood High School is a great school that will prepare your kids for college and for the real world. They have excellent high academic standards and provide trusted resources for the educational needs of the kids. I do wish Underwood was more diverse though.