Underwood High School is a highly rated, public school located in Underwood, IA. It has 265 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A46 Students
- A33 Students
- B-20 Students
- B+19 Students
- B17 Students
- A-13 Students
- B12 Students
- A10 Students
- B9 Students
- B9 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Underwood High School
- BTri-Center High School
- Tri-Center Community School District, IA
- 26 reviews
- B+Treynor Middle/High School
- Treynor Community School District, IA
- 107 reviews
- B-Lewis Central Senior High School
- Lewis Central Community School District, IA
- 193 reviews
- C+Missouri Valley High School
- Missouri Valley Community School District, IA
- 21 reviews
Underwood High School Reviews
I would say Underwood High School is better than your average school. As a smaller school, the teachers have a better ability to have one-on-one experience with their students. This allows for an overall higher quality of education for students in my opinion. This is something that larger schools just can’t do with such a high number of students. Something I dislike about Underwood High School, though, is their lack of quality of food. If the school can afford to build brand-new facilities for their students (which they did), then they can afford to serve their students something that is actually good for them instead of frozen pizza and nachos.
My experience with Underwood High School was overall a very good one. My class was one of the most intelligent classes in Underwood history, with roughly 1/6th of the students achieving a 30 or higher on the ACT. The building itself is old, but it is holding up well. The teachers are very good; they are undeniably the best part of the school. The school could become more diverse, the majority of students are Caucasian.
I like the small school feel with the big school type education. The classes are challenging. I think that the tough classes really prepare the students for the real world and college.