Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Tumwater High School is an above average, public school located in Tumwater, WA. It has 1,231 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 49% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Tumwater High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A173 Students
- A+169 Students
- B+142 Students
- B-109 Students
- B-105 Students
- B-93 Students
- A-69 Students
- A-59 Students
- A-56 Students
- B+52 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 50 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.35 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.34 responses
Schools like Tumwater High School
- B+A.G. West Black Hills High School
- Tumwater School District, WA
- 176 reviews
- NGNew Market High School
- Tumwater School District, WA
- A-Timberline High School
- North Thurston Public Schools, WA
- 297 reviews
- C+Rainier Senior High School
- Rainier School District, WA
- 40 reviews
Tumwater High School Reviews
Tumwater High School is as average of a high school experience as one can have, presuming you're white and enjoy sports. While the teachers and classes are decent, they're nothing particularly special. If you enjoy extraciricular activities and school involvement, don't attend here. The high school brushes aside the contributions of all other student programs in favor of bringing attention to the football team. The administration is bad at staying in constant communication with students. Also, the student body is about 90% white with very little attempt to encourage diversity. However, the overall campus environment is good. The school is a comfortable size and has good security. Shout out to the incredible counseling office! While I would reccomend THS pay more attention to their extended student programs, due to the teacher's strike of summer 2018 that is unlikely to occur.
Tumwater focuses a lot on sports and school pride. Football games are always PACKED! The arts aren't funded as well and have very little attention by the general public, but they all have the best teachers ever. The theater and music programs are wonderful and a very tight-knit and accepting community. You have to be a self advocate and self-driven, but if you seek out the resources they can be very helpful. Very white school and very much a mixed bag of liberal and conservative.
Walking through the streets of Tumwater, WA, you'll find alumni, teens on their way to the closest 7/11 to get a snack, and front yards filled with THS pride. It is the most family oriented school packed with pride, courage, and tradition. For me, being in that atmosphere was empowering because they push everyone to feel like they are someone. Their goal is purpose. And they do their best to celebrate the small victories. Throughout the years, student spirit has started to dwindle (unless it's a football game). The best change Tumwater High School could make would be to find new approaches for student cooperation. Leadership worked hard at that this year and we found it was important to look at what really matters to students of this generation. I found that as my four years came to an end, that THS pride became my confidence. I believe a lot of my senior classmates would say the same. So, if we find a way to envoke that same spirit in other students, THS would be that much better.