Townsend Harris High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+254 Students
- A-188 Students
- A+179 Students
- A+176 Students
- A-147 Students
- B+106 Students
- A+104 Students
- A+94 Students
- B90 Students
- A+79 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.50 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.50 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.51 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.67 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.77 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.77 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.77 responses
Townsend Harris High School Reviews
Review Townsend Harris High School
I love Townsend Harris for its vigorous Honors and AP programs that help me prepare for college courses. Extracurriculars such as SING! and the Festival of Nations create a lively and busy atmosphere. Lately, the Interim Acting Principal Rosemarie Jahoda has been sub-par with her duties and needs to be replaced with a better qualified principal. Hopefully, the DOE will fix this!
There is a lot of diversity so no one feels left out and everybody feels comfortable around each other. There is a variety of clubs and specific events that allow students to come together and express their passion for a specific talent such as dancing and acting. Some of these events include FoN which is the Festival of Nations that allow students to express their culture through dance. There is also SING! which is a student led production of an original play which includes art, dancing, and acting. Overall, the school offers broad events and clubs and welcomes everyone to be a part of something
While it was difficult to assimilate at first because of the challenging and competitive atmosphere, the difficulty proved to be all the more worth it. Taking Latin classes and all honors courses was daunting, but Townsend teaches you not only how to nourish your own intelligence, but how to be an organized, professional individual with a knack for community service and leaving your city greater than you found it. The teachers are the best part of the community. They push you to achieve your best, address your limitations, and treat you like their family. Your peers are competitive, but there is always a helpful and cooperative environment. Townsend Harris pushes you to be the best version of yourself.