COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Thornton Academy will begin the fall with hybrid learning. As an Apple Distinguished School, Thornton Academy is recognized as a center of leadership and excellence in the field of technology-integrated instruction. A Thornton Academy education provides your child with unmatched opportunities for in-classroom and remote learning, both of which will be crucial to the success of students this year. Learn More
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
Thornton Academy is a co-educational, private boarding and day school serving grades 6–12. Located on Maine's southern coast, in the city of Saco, Thornton Academy is one of the nation's longest-operating independent schools.
Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
Please join us on November 4 at 6:00 PM EST for a Virtual Open House to speak with our School Counseling department about how they prepare our students for college.
Thornton Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B166 Students
- C+149 Students
- B-117 Students
- B+82 Students
- A+80 Students
- C+60 Students
- C60 Students
- B-56 Students
- C+54 Students
- A+53 Students
Technology & New Media
The Technology and New Media Department offers students immersive experiences with industry standard tools for coding, robotics, web design, and digital media. Students are challenged with authentic problems and then asked to develop creative solutions, plan their implementation, and execute and evaluate their success.
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.33 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.45 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Thornton Academy Reviews
I feel at home and at ease when I’m in the school and I really feel like I’m learning new materiel, the teachers don’t look down on you and make you feel like less, they help with whatever they can.
The dorm life is amazing and I’m having so much fun experiencing new things with friends from all over the world!
I’m happy I chose this school and I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else.
The amount of course options here really is astounding. There’s so much to choose from!
Though I’m not very athletic, there are plenty of sports at different levels available to me if I ever decided to play. Artistically, I have an equal amount of opportunities. The musicals they put on here are one of my favorite events of the year.
I often find myself walking between classes and saying hi to teachers, counselors, janitors and lunch ladies.
One more truly special thing about TA is the international student population. Above all, the experiences and knowledge I have obtained because of their friendship are invaluable.