- Fairfax County Public Schools
- Public, Magnet
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+347 Students
- A+188 Students
- A+162 Students
- A+153 Students
- A+144 Students
- A+139 Students
- A+138 Students
- A+135 Students
- A+133 Students
- A+130 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.46 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.46 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.53 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.66 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.67 responses
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology Reviews
Review Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology
Very vigorous workload, and it's difficult to achieve straight-As. The teachers are average, as well. Nonetheless, the students are incredibly down-to-earth and amazing! There's something about staying up till 2am with your peers that makes the entire school closely bonded. You'll have a high school experience like no other.
I have immensely enjoyed the computer science and Latin programs at the school, and one thing that makes TJ unique, which I am most definitely looking forward to taking, is the cryptography elective that is offered. Though the school is a lot of work, and sometimes I complain too much, it can teach you a lot in and out of the classroom, and especially how to learn on your own. I did not really enjoy having biology, english, and design & technology as teamed courses during freshman year, but I greatly appreciate the friends I made in those classes, and the experiences we all shared. Without these teamed courses, I would likely have struggled a lot more in my transition from a small private school to a public high school. One drawback is that while most students have specific areas in which they excel, teachers sometimes assume that all students are extraordinarily gifted at their subject, and therefore their teaching reflects this expectation and leads to kids falling not understanding and falling behind.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is a school that I can say that I am proud to attend. Its academic rigor constantly challenges its students and myself. The teachers there are some of the best people that I have ever met thus far in my life. All of them are willing to take time out of their days to provide their students with any extra assistance that is needed. The student community is supportive and friendly. The school is a place where you can leave your laptop or phone sitting out in the open and they will still be there even if you leave them unattended for an hour. The only gripe that I have with the school is the administration. It is a bit disorganized since the school is currently undergoing renovation, but it is a bit too chaotic and can be frustrating at times. I am relatively certain that once the renovations are over, everything will straighten out. I love my school and the people that are in it. I cannot think of going anywhere else.