grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A minus
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Thomas Jefferson High School is a public school located in Council Bluffs, IA. It has 1,225 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 48% of students are at least proficient in math and 49% in reading.
Thomas Jefferson High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C+193 Students
- grade B170 Students
- grade A166 Students
- grade A155 Students
- grade B+89 Students
- grade A minus70 Students
- grade A minus66 Students
- grade B minus54 Students
- grade B54 Students
- grade B47 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responses
- Football games21%
- The bomb fires21%
- Sport Activites15%
- Sport events like games12%
- Soccer Games :)9%
- Wrestling meets9%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 17 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade A minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,986 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 32 responses
Schools like Thomas Jefferson High School
- grade B minusAbraham Lincoln High School
- Council Bluffs Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.53 out of 5 209 reviews
- grade B minusRalston High School
- Ralston Public Schools, NE
- Rating 3.57 out of 5 124 reviews
- grade BBellevue East High School
- Bellevue Public Schools, NE
- Rating 3.65 out of 5 188 reviews
- grade BBurke High School
- Omaha Public Schools, NE
- Rating 3.61 out of 5 358 reviews
Thomas Jefferson High School Reviews
Rating 3.63 out of 5 197 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I love this school! I have been able to take so many college credits and the teachers are so selfless and love to help you out. I have been given so many opportunities through volunteering and taking concurrent enrollment classes. I love creating relationships with the teachers and being able to learn about them. All the teachers are so willing to bend over backwards to help kids with whatever they need and make sure that their teaching styles accommodate all the different learners. I have been able to take so many classes that will make college a smoother ride. Graduating with over a year of college out of the way.
All the students and teachers are very supportive and will listen to everything you have to say. Growing up with older siblings and for myself going into high school, I was very ready to go into it and wasn't as scared as the average incoming freshman. Knowing that I have so much support, especially outside of the teachers and students outside of the school really helped also. All the parents helped out a lot too. Playing sports, you get so much support and everyone is rooting for you!
Overall, Thomas Jefferson High school is a very good school. The teachers genuinely care about their students and will often work one-on-one to make sure a student is succeeding. Though, I wish there were more college prep and readiness help for more than just the senior class. I know that I and other students in my graduation class could greatly benefit from a more open discussion on options after high school aside from the mandatory, boring talk that doesn't give any new information. The school could be more inclusive with students, making sure that everyone has the same option for opportunities as well as the knowledge about said opportunities. Overall, the school needs to spread messages more and have more in-depth discussions with students on their futures.