- PROVIDENCE, RI
COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Wheeler announced that we will welcome students back for the 133rd school year to pre-COVID-19 classroom setups and a full in-person and on-campus learning experience at both campuses. As of now, Wheeler is requesting full vaccination from faculty and eligible students by the time we return in September. Wheeler will follow any guidelines proposed by the RIDOH and the CDC. Learn More
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A+
- Sportsgrade A minus
The Wheeler School was founded in Providence, RI, in 1889 by Mary C. Wheeler, an artist, educator, and activist with an innovative vision: craft an educational experience grounded in students’ curiosity and passions, combine academic pursuit with hands-on experience, and live out a shared belief that they could make the world a better place. As part of its mission, Wheeler is committed to building an anti-racist education and community.
From campuses in Providence and Seekonk, we give students in grades Nursery - 12 the opportunity to learn by doing and collaborating, to explore new interests and grow in their passions, to build their self-awareness and confidence through leadership and service, and to develop the critical thinking and skills they need to be thoughtful, curious, and contributing citizens of the world. In short, we live our Mission: To learn our powers and be answerable for their use.
The Wheeler School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+65 Students
- grade A+48 Students
- grade A+37 Students
- grade A+35 Students
- grade A+33 Students
- grade A+31 Students
- grade A+30 Students
- grade A+30 Students
- grade A+29 Students
- grade A+29 Students
Enriched Learning: Neuroscience
Wheeler's neuroscience electives and courses aim to educate K-12 students on the structure and function of the brain as well as the scientific process by which information about the brain is acquired. Using a number of EEG devices available for students, the program is part of our Aerie Approach — an enrichment and R&D component of the school’s curriculum.
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 18 responses
- Holiday festival22%
- Field Day21%
- Farm Program13%
- September Fest13%
- Unity and Diversity Day8%
- Winter Ball6%
- Aerie events in the Lower School5%
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 18 responses
- Offers Full WeekYes
- Offers Part WeekYes
- Offers Full DayYes
- Offers Part DayYes
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 24 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 10 responses
Living in the Area
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade D+
The Wheeler School Reviews
I also love her enthusiasm for the courses she is taking. She tells us all about the conversations that happen during class and the topics they are studying. I appreciate that she has had the opportunity to explore things that I (and she!) didn't even know she was interested in such as improv theatre, coding, and track & field.
The school has done a remarkable job of navigating the past year, which was challenging in so many ways for so many people. They have provided a safe space for students and constant communication for families.
We are really grateful to be part of this wonderful community!