The Thacher School, a coeducational boarding high school founded in 1889 on a citrus ranch at the foot of the Topa Topa Mountains in Ojai, California, is anything but typical. Here, students encounter a combination they won't find anywhere else: demanding academics, tough character-building challenges, and a healthy, authentic community culture that supports them every step of the way. It's how Thacher succeeds in shaping resilient, compassionate, and ambitious young men and women who are prepared to take on the challenges of today's world.
The Thacher School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+45 Students
- A+36 Students
- A+31 Students
- A+29 Students
- A+28 Students
- A+26 Students
- A+25 Students
- A+25 Students
- A+24 Students
- A+24 Students
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
The Thacher School Reviews
I've had a great experience at the school, administration aside, but the administration now tries to control our thoughts and actions.
If you want your voice to be heard and valued, don't choose to come here. While this is an amazing institution in many ways with faculty who genuinely care about the students' wellbeing and a launchpad for greater success in college admissions, overall, being a student of color at this predominantly white institution is extremely difficult. The majority-white admin ignores the necessary diversity and inclusion; while Thacher is diverse, the school has not done any work to be inclusive for all students. After a recent case involving a racist, sexist, homophobic meme account, the admin has made efforts in weekly discussions as a response, but in no way is this being taken seriously by either the students or the admin. The only way to be accepted here is to assimilate to the dominant white culture. Do yourself a favor and don't feel disillusioned, disappointed, and neglected like I did at the end of my time at Thacher.
You don't send your kid to Thacher if you think they're "above" doing manual labor like caring for a horse at dawn... or if your kid can't handle extreme wilderness camping. As a result, the students Thacher attracts/admits are humble, kind, hard working, honorable, and community minded.
Thacher is deliberate in knitting the community together. Thx to regular meals w/assigned seats, prefect groups, advisory groups, riding groups, and new "knots", newly-arrived freshman quickly feel a sense of family.
Like most elite schools, it attracts wealthy families whose kids can't relate to students from other backgrounds... but Thacher is working hard to make the community more inclusive.