The Stony Brook School Reviews

SBS is a diverse community, where everyone cares for one another. The teachers and students develop such a tight bond. They emphasize building character, over career and it is an amazing place for young men and women to learn and grow together
The school is awkward at first, but once you find your own people it becomes much better. I would not call the academics especially difficult, however, the sheer volume can be overwhelming. There are some pretty incompetent teachers, but as a whole, they are mostly good.
I would not expect a fuller and more meaningful four years at a high school. As an international student, I think I have regarded The Stony Brook School as my second home over the four years. Teachers on this campus are very dedicated and loving, willing to do everything in their ability to make you better. My peers at the Stony Brook School are no less knowledgable, intelligent, and motivated than students in any other elite private high school. Not to emphasize figures, but over 36 percent of my class got into US News top 25 universities in the nation. Most importantly, SBS is a place that motivates you to explore more about the world, whether it be science, math, humanities, or arts. My intellectual curiosity is cultivated here and I think I will benefit from this spirit throughout my college time and entire life. I feel grateful that I end up(whether it be God's will or pure randomness) at this magical place. I will definitely recommend this school to any friend!
Start Your Review of The Stony Brook School
Excellent care and prep for the quarantine period. Great leadership and team to care for each student individually. Big applause for the way they deliver their service to overall education.
Excellent from start to finish. Parent of 2 graduating seniors. The academics program continues to rise to the occasion both in terms of the breath, depth, and rigor of courses and the addition of mini-courses a nice touch that gives students opportunity to explore areas of interest beyond the core curriculum. The teachers are exceptional, balancing a joy of learning with intellectual curiosity that gave my boys the confidence to set high standards for college. Administrative staff and leadership team do an EXCEPTIONAL job keeping parents informed (and every school should be using the SBS portal). Wish my boys would have taken advantage of sailing but they found plenty of clubs, sports, and leadership positions to meet their needs. Incredible sense of community. Best decision we could have made. Now off to college, the boys got into all but 1 of the 10 schools they applied to. Blessed to be part of SBS family.
The community on this campus is extremely loving and caring for all of the students. With most of the teachers living on campus, the opportunities for students to get support from their teachers are endless. In addition to availability for school work help, all of the teachers work to have an overall good relationship with their students. Student leaders on our campus also lead through servant leadership and kindness and act as strong role models for the younger students.
In terms of classwork, the load students are given is the level you would expect from a college preparatory school. But it prepares you for college.
I feel as if this school is a school which should be within the top 25 in the nation. the teachers and staff are very qualified and care about you even thought tough times.
Having been here for 4 years, I have grown and matured in many ways due to the intentional programs at Stony Brook. Leadership, academics, and community are greatly emphasized and shape the school culture. I am thankful to have been a part of all of these aspects and know that I will always look back at my experiences at SBS fondly.
A parent of a freshman, day student. Classes and course work are intense, but I feel like my child is really learning especially when benchmarked to friends with children in local public schools. Diversity of the students, teachers and focus of programs has offered my child a broader view on the world. The sports programs have exceeded my expectations. Coaches are teaching fundamentals, programs have been competitive and playing time has been balanced. Administration's strategy is transparent and focused on growth of programs and the school. Opportunities for day students are plenty, my child feels involved in the campus.
I have learned how to be a global citizen at The Stony Brook School.
I cannot pretend it has been all fun and games, but the education I have received, the way I have been able to whet my intellectual curiosity, the faculty and students I have met, and the ability I have had to grow in character, leadership, and faith, have made my proud to call myself a Bear.
This type of impact lasts a lifetime, an indelible mark in my mind and on my heart.
Most of the teachers at Stony Brook are unlike many others I have seen; they are very involved in each student's life. The Stony Brook Community is immensely diverse and familiarizes students with different perspectives. There are also many opportunities open to students to get involved in community service, clubs, new sports, and trips across the globe.

The one thing I dislike about Stony Brook is the religious aspect of it. The school is almost divided between very devout Christians and people with a looser faith. It's not that bad, but as someone who is not very religious, I find that Christian views are sometimes pushed on children.

Otherwise, I think the Stony Brook School is a good place to consider.
Very good environment, I've been attending for around three years. teachers are very awesome and they love to get to know you as a learning student but also as a growing kid outside of school.
This is my first year at SBS, but i already love it here. All of those bad reviewed are bogus.
1- The food is GREAT!
2- The faculty is amazing!
3- There is nothing to hate about the wonderful, diverse community at The Stony Brook School.
Come join us and have the best school years ever. You will be prepared for college, and may even get into Ivy League schools! I know a graduate who is going to Stanford from SBS. You are always successful after going to this amazing school. You don’t have to be Christian, I’m not, it’s a great thing to have cultural appropriation, and to learn about other religions. :)
World-class education. Kids leave the school ready to take on the rigors of the top universities in the U.S and around the world. The community is diverse and richly international. Kids are safe in an environment that has a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol or drug use. Culture is rooted in ethics and faith. Although historically a conservative-leaning school it has made huge inroads embracing more open-minded and progressive ideals. Could not be happier as to the quality of academics and character education that is made possible at this incredible institution with talented and dedicated educators. Keep an eye out for their top athletics, jaw-dropping competitive choir and a theater program that always delivers impressive dramatic and musical productions.
SBS is a place that all students, boarding or day, learn to call home, and it is a tight knit community where we are well prepared for college and life afterwards, but it is also a place alumni love to return to and reconnect with friends teachers, and younger students they’ve mentored.
The Stony Brook School is a great place to learn, with faculty who actually care about their students.
Start Your Review of The Stony Brook School
I am a senior going into my sixth year in Stony Brook. I recommend coming here if you only want to work. The school is very rigorous and there is barley any relaxation.
Excellent Education at The Stony Brook School (SBS) ++ you become part of the SBS family. Small class student teacher ratio. The faculty, educators, alumni and administrators are part of the SBS family and welcome the students as part of their family. They provide excellent support both in the classroom and in the SBS school community.
Stony Brook was a place where I felt known and cared for, where my teachers invested in me not just as a student but as a person, where I got a first class education that prepared me for college, and where I received a robust and challenging athletic experience.