The Science Academy of South Texas is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 735 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
The Science Academy of South Texas Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+318 Students
- B223 Students
- A+219 Students
- A+173 Students
- B117 Students
- A112 Students
- A-108 Students
- B+78 Students
- A-77 Students
- A+70 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.27 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.27 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 142 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.43 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.48 responses
Schools like The Science Academy of South Texas
- A+South Texas High School for Health Professions
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 318 reviews
- A-Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 112 reviews
- A-Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 153 reviews
- BMercedes Early College Academy
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 109 reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas Reviews
My school and this district have given me opportunities that I would've never had anywhere else. The faculty and staff are amazing and make sure to help many of the students with whatever we need. As a student body we are very listened to and have to chance to give the administration honest feedback and suggestions. The student body is also amazing. Everyone is kind and supportive of each other. We have cultivated a culture of respect and safety is always respected. I absolutely love my school, and can say that fully honestly. If you ever want to stop by feel free to speak to out counseling department and our student ambassadors. We provide tours led by actual students!
Scitech was very helpful in preparing me in college and in my degree field. Many know that Scitech is geared towards math and sciences, however, it is open to students of all interests as the main skill that students are encouraged to develop is problem solving. Scitech has taught me to innovate and create ideas which in opinion, I would have lacked in had I gone to another school. The community also helped push my limits and get ahead in school by encouraging me to take AP and dual enrollment classes, which has helped me in the long run. However, Scitech does lack somewhat with extracurricular activities. Scitech has many clubs, yet there are no sports, no music, and very minimal arts. I believe that these extra curricular activities should be re considered as something the school should focus on to help students find relief needed from the stress and anxiety of upcoming exams, projects and assignments. However, overall,Scitech is an excellent school for academically driven students.
One of the major factors that sets this school apart from others is the students. Given that plenty of the students take hour long bus rides to arrive, those who choose to attend this school must be dedicated to doing so. Their dedication is further exemplified through their schoolwork and their competitive natures, as many of them make academic rivals of each other. Despite this, the culture within the student population is very friendly and welcoming, making it easy for them to come together and form friendships. Overall, the school is great, although they could improve their athletics.