The Science Academy of South Texas is an elite, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 785 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 84.5% of students are at least proficient in math and 93% in reading.
The Science Academy of South Texas Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+259 Students
- B174 Students
- A+158 Students
- A+126 Students
- B98 Students
- A82 Students
- A-79 Students
- A-67 Students
- B+63 Students
- A-62 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 123 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.38 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.40 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.45 responses
Schools like The Science Academy of South Texas
- A+South Texas High School for Health Professions
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 290 reviews
- B+Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 92 reviews
- B+Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 121 reviews
- B+Mercedes Early College Academy
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 97 reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas Reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas is one of the best schools in the nation and the best in all of south Texas. The school has the best academics and is one of the most diverse environments I have ever had the pleasure to partake in. One thing the school lacks in is sports however, I believe that if you want to go to the Science Academy sports should not be an issue at all. Overall I believe that the Science Academy of South Texas is a great oppertunity for anyone wanting to get into a good college
Attending Science Academy has been so rewarding and inspiring in multiple ways. Being able to understand what it takes to be successful in a tough, competitive environment such as Sci-Tech, is extremely rewarding. Especially when you attend a school like mine that gives you the opportunities to learn inside and outside the classroom. Not only do you learn the core materials that are essential for college, but you also learn what type of person you are, the student you are and what are your interests and aspirations. Coming to Science Academy isn't always the easiest choice, but it is definitly the right choice if you want to be pushed and excel at your craft.
The Science Academy is academically challenging, culturally diverse, enjoyable, and one of the highest ranked schools in Texas. It nearly over-prepares its students to enter college, however, which has its pros and cons. If attending, be prepared to work harder than you ever have, but also to reap the benefits of an excellent, high-quality education.