The Science Academy of South Texas is an elite, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 731 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 91% in reading.
The Science Academy of South Texas Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+267 Students
- B183 Students
- A+169 Students
- A+132 Students
- B102 Students
- A87 Students
- A-84 Students
- A-68 Students
- B+64 Students
- A-61 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 131 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like The Science Academy of South Texas
- A+South Texas High School for Health Professions
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 296 reviews
- B+Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 99 reviews
- B+Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 133 reviews
- B+Mercedes Early College Academy
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 105 reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas Reviews
I just graduated. Over the past four years, I learned SciTech is a good school ONLY if you’re going into a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) field. They will not give you the light of day if you go into any arts or humanities. Administration also will not stand with their students when they need their support the most. Administration cares about the wrong things and has been nothing more than a disappointment.
Attending the Science Academy of South Texas was a challenge for me as of many others because the academic rigor was high but so was competition. This school has a variety of students who, like me, had come from different backgrounds and nationalities to the US and had the same aspirations I do. The diversity in the student population at Science Academy made me more open minded to all types of ideas and cultures.
The Science Academy of South Texas is one of the best schools in the nation and the best in all of south Texas. The school has the best academics and is one of the most diverse environments I have ever had the pleasure to partake in. One thing the school lacks in is sports however, I believe that if you want to go to the Science Academy sports should not be an issue at all. Overall I believe that the Science Academy of South Texas is a great oppertunity for anyone wanting to get into a good college