The Science Academy of South Texas is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 731 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 91% in reading.
The Science Academy of South Texas Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+311 Students
- B214 Students
- A+211 Students
- A+165 Students
- B114 Students
- A107 Students
- A-104 Students
- A-78 Students
- B+76 Students
- A+66 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 136 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.47 responses
Schools like The Science Academy of South Texas
- ASouth Texas High School for Health Professions
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 308 reviews
- A-Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 106 reviews
- A-Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 144 reviews
- BMercedes Early College Academy
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 105 reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas Reviews
Science Academy is unlike any other school I have been to. It is diverse, comfortable, challenging, and fun at times! Most of the teachers are extremely dedicated to the students and their job which ultimately helps the students learn better. I would recommend the school to any student who is up for a challenge and is eager to learn more about Engineering!
Definitely a school that prepares you for college with rigorous coursework and an engineering focus with teachers that really know their material and how to help whenever students need assistance. It's small compared to other schools and it's easy to get to know others quickly- however the Scitech community has seen better days in my earlier years than as of late. Students are competitive because of rankings, and sometimes this leads to cheating. The resources are outstanding from the computers to 3D printers and more- all available to students. Driven individuals really thrive here and there's endless opportunities for involvement through school events. Students must really take charge for themselves grade and college wise because while counselor assistance is available, ultimately it's up to the person to complete what's necessary. I enjoyed my time at the school with classmates who turned into family and I wouldn't change it for any place else.
The Science Academy is almost an early college; as a student, I can testify the environment is very competitive but also very family like- if anyone needs help, all they have to do is ask. There are tons of high level resources such as modern 3D printers and plasma cutters, CNC mills, etc... All around a great school!