The Science Academy of South Texas is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 731 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 91% in reading.
The Science Academy of South Texas Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+303 Students
- B203 Students
- A+201 Students
- A+162 Students
- B110 Students
- A102 Students
- A-97 Students
- A-76 Students
- B+73 Students
- A+64 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 131 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like The Science Academy of South Texas
- ASouth Texas High School for Health Professions
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 305 reviews
- A-Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 102 reviews
- A-Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 139 reviews
- BMercedes Early College Academy
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 105 reviews
The Science Academy of South Texas Reviews
Definitely a school that prepares you for college with rigorous coursework and an engineering focus with teachers that really know their material and how to help whenever students need assistance. It's small compared to other schools and it's easy to get to know others quickly- however the Scitech community has seen better days in my earlier years than as of late. Students are competitive because of rankings, and sometimes this leads to cheating. The resources are outstanding from the computers to 3D printers and more- all available to students. Driven individuals really thrive here and there's endless opportunities for involvement through school events. Students must really take charge for themselves grade and college wise because while counselor assistance is available, ultimately it's up to the person to complete what's necessary. I enjoyed my time at the school with classmates who turned into family and I wouldn't change it for any place else.
The Science Academy is almost an early college; as a student, I can testify the environment is very competitive but also very family like- if anyone needs help, all they have to do is ask. There are tons of high level resources such as modern 3D printers and plasma cutters, CNC mills, etc... All around a great school!
I just graduated. Over the past four years, I learned SciTech is a good school ONLY if you’re going into a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) field. They will not give you the light of day if you go into any arts or humanities. Administration also will not stand with their students when they need their support the most. Administration cares about the wrong things and has been nothing more than a disappointment.