- Columbus, MS
- Public, Magnet
The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-68 Students
- A-54 Students
- A+39 Students
- B+29 Students
- A+20 Students
- A+16 Students
- A-16 Students
- A-15 Students
- A+14 Students
- A+13 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.18 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science Reviews
Review The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science
It is the BEST high school in Mississippi! No doubt! The teachers are so caring and the counselor are too! The faculty and resident life staffs are really nice! Every teacher here stays in school weekly from 7:00-9:00pm for tutorials to help students with whatever they needed help with. So from Monday to Thursday I can always find a teacher in subjects I needed help with to help me. Also, teachers have office hours. They welcome us to come to them. One of my teacher even suggested students to set standing office hours with her. The counselors are very very helpful. They always send emails about scholarships, financial aid, and deadlines for stuffs. They pretty much know every student very well, since MSMS is a small and the only public, residential high school for academically gifted students in the state of Mississippi. I'm glad I went to this school. The knowledge I gained here will help me succeed in future, I'm very sure.
I love MSMS! It challenges me academically and physically. I never acknowledged how much potential I had before MSMS, and the school has taught me so much about self-ambition and self-expression. I would only change the facilities we work in because they are a little run down. Yet, since the high school is on the campus of a historic university, I understand the predicament.
The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science is the best all around high school in the state, whether you're looking for Mathematics, Science, or anything else. We have people from all over the state living here, which makes the experience vibrant and diverse. The cafeteria is buffet style and we have extremely qualified, dedicated teachers who can help with nearly any problem, academic or otherwise. The academics are unparalleled, but the sports are hardly competitive. We do definitely have a vibrant selection of sports teams and organizations, but the school is not big enough to support a football team or really dive into athletics. The people here are people I will personally know and hold close to my heart for life. The experience is unparalleled.