The Harker School Reviews

I owe a lot to this school. However, especially with the new recruits for sports and some of the advertising the school is doing, I am concerned with the lack of diversity and the racial divide on campus after athlete recruiting. I wish the school was able to foster a more naturally diverse and inclusive environment instead of seeking out underrepresented students to boast about to donors. The environment while incredibly supportive tends to often bring out the worst in students and create a sense of targeted competition guided directly at only Ivy-League schools.
When I was in middle school I hated it. The administration was awful and some of my teachers were the worst. From 8th grade and on I have only ever had teachers that I have loved and the administration at the High School is so much better. THANK YOU BIRTHDAYS!!!
I've been attending Harker since kindergarten (I'm going to be a freshman), and I really love it! The academics are amazing, and the teachers are committed to educating and are full of knowledge. The athletics program is getting better and better every year. However, some problems I have are the dress code and the administration favoring those whose parents donate lots of money to the school. Overall, Harker is an amazing school and is worth the exorbitant tuition.
Start Your Review of The Harker School
Harker is a great school. Kids are friendly and hardworking. No bullying. Teachers actually teach (most teachers). Easy to meet up with teachers for any issues. Administration is so so...they have to do certain things their way.
From the earliest grade, the opportunities to explore different areas are endless. Although the school is focused more on STEM, the resources and talent in the arts and humanities are top-notch.
It's lit at the Harker School cause it's a pretty close knit community. Everyone understands the struggle of being a student in this day and age, trying to get that GPA up and getting that research project done. Everyone is also driven, so you tend to hop on that bandwagon and feel motivated to do something with your life as well.
I was fortunate to have two sons graduate from Harker in 2011 and 2013, and they were both transfer students into 9th grade from a small private school. I was extremely impressed with the academic offerings, the quality of teaching, the range of extracurricular activities and the engaged and supportive parent community. We received half scholarships all the way through and my sons and our family was consistently treated with the same high level of respect as millionaires' kids. While Harker is billed as a primarily science focused school, my sons were more interested in the humanities, especially in theatre and writing. Ironically, they went on to attend highly selective east coast liberal arts colleges and majored in the physical sciences and are now incredibly well prepared for careers and grad school. They are also socially conscious and are perfect gentlemen. I should finally add that Harker's college counselors are the best you can find.
The environment. Hands down the most important thing of any institution you could want. Everyone is focussed around you and as a result, you benefit from aquatinting yourself with the future leaders of the world.
Although the academics may seem tough, it really prepares you well for the college transition. The teachers are always open and friendly and are willing to answer any and all questions.
It's honestly an amazing experience being a student here and you can only truly appreciate it once you've left.
Great academic school that prepares you for future success. There are great resources available including awesome teachers and facilities.
Incredibly broad selection of extra-curriculars.
Great experience, surrounded by very smart individuals.
teachers are nice and great!
varied choices to suit nearly any interests
little tough academically, but the people and environment make it worthwhile
I think that people at Harker tend to neglect the awesome extracurriculars that the school offers, but this does not mean the extracurriculars are not present. There are numerous unique school provided activities like yoga and caporea.
Start Your Review of The Harker School
As I said in my previous response, I transferred into Harker from a large public school in Freshman year. My old school was great both academically and socially, but coming to Harker has changed my life forever. I have not only made significant advances in my intellectual growth, I have made life long friends through the classroom, extracurriculars, and just walking around campus (because the campus is so welcoming).
Coming from a large public middle school, the teaching style and quality was a welcome surprise for me. The teachers were all more engaging and, because of the smaller class size were able to give more support to each student that needed it. As I adjusted to the new level of teaching, my learning took a huge leap forward. The teachers at my school are truly top knotch
Everyone is really involved and you can see they care about what they're doing.