Tazewell High School
- TAZEWELL, VA
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade C minus
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade C+
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Tazewell High School is a public school located in TAZEWELL, VA. It has 529 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Tazewell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C100 Students
- grade B79 Students
- grade A+79 Students
- grade C minus59 Students
- grade A+55 Students
- grade A45 Students
- grade A minus42 Students
- grade B+38 Students
- grade B36 Students
- grade B+35 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Tazewell High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade C minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 26 responses
- Football Games, Alma Mater, and Pep Rally's27%
- Singing the Alma Mater on Fridays23%
- Exchanging of seats after seniors graduate15%
- Friday night football games and the baseball games15%
- Spirit Week12%
- Holiday Events8%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 16 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,113 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 17 responses
Tazewell High School Reviews
Rating 3.51 out of 5 112 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Tazewell High School, located in Tazewell County, is one that leaves me with great memories. The school, overall, molded me into being an experienced individual (not to mention the people, they were great). The teachers were mediocre, yet some were the best I will ever have. I am blessed that I had them, really. One thing to change about the school: have more AP subjects, or teach courses that will benefit the students more. From that, we can build a better school that is more enjoyable for the students.
I believe Tazewell High brings a lot of ideas to the forefront in a manner that encourages students to participate more. I also believe that my school has been very open in creating new and exciting programs, having created a Jazz band class. This class is the first in the county, and I can only hope it spreads. Our school also has a interactivity between students unlike other schools I have seen. All of our students get along more or less. There isn't this huge divide between "cliques" of students and I find that to be a wonderful concept.
My past four years at Tazewell High School have been memorable and eventful. I have a passion for my small town and community, Go Bulldogs! We are currently doing our absolute best to restore and regain what pride and heart we had for our football team. With the constant struggles of having temporary coaches, I can understand how hard it would be to invest so much of your adolescent years into someone who may or may not help you with your future. In light of recent events, I feel very strongly that there should be a change within administration. Our school should be a warm and welcoming environment. I love my school and only wish to see success flow from it.