Tawas Area High School
- TAWAS CITY, MI
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade B
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
Tawas Area High School is an above average, public school located in TAWAS CITY, MI. It has 410 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Tawas Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B114 Students
- grade B103 Students
- grade A97 Students
- grade B minus96 Students
- grade A+88 Students
- grade B+71 Students
- grade C50 Students
- grade B minus45 Students
- grade B+38 Students
- grade B+36 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Tawas Area High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- Homecoming/ Prom43%
- Science olympics competition21%
- Spirit Week14%
- Sporting events14%
- Pep rallies7%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 10 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,927 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 13 responses
Tawas Area High School Reviews
Rating 3.78 out of 5 80 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
This school has teachers that actually like kids. They are uplifting and works with the kids when they need help. There is a lot of kids that like weirdness and nerdiness. This school contains two types of people, the city and the country. The city people are not that bad either. The country people are laid back and understanding. The people here get to work when they are told, but are a little chatty. I am a nerdy, geeky, and musical girl who has been bullied for most of my life and I can tell you that this school is very good to my kind. I have tons of friends that like anime and are just as weird and rambunctious as good friends should be. I feel at home here, like I can trust the people around me. I have never felt more relaxed at any other school. The boys here are all kind, besides the jocks, who are nice when they are away from their friends. The coaches here are compassionate and understanding. I mean, I suck at wrestling yet the coach still lets me in. So yeah, good school.
Overall Tawas is a pretty average school. One thing that is a plus about Tawas is that we have more higher level classes than the schools around us. We have many AP classes, dual enrollment opportunities, and an early middle college program. A big problem with Tawas is that we have a huge focus on Sports rather than Academics. Also Tawas is not diverse, at all. As the majority, Tawas is a pretty decent school, but I can not speak on what it's like for the minority.
Tawas Area High School is located in a small town, so there aren't a lot of people to begin with. With few people classes are smaller and teacher are a little more interactive with the students. Some would even say Tawas Area High School is a second family. However being small is also a disadvantage, as funding can be a bit of a problem. If something is broken, sometimes it's broken for months or even the rest of the year. When a teacher is sick or leaves for medical reasons, substitute teachers can be hard to come by. Overall it's an average school having strengths and drawbacks.