Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Tawas Area High School is an above average, public school located in Tawas City, MI. It has 432 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 5% in reading.
Tawas Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B96 Students
- B94 Students
- A82 Students
- B81 Students
- A+78 Students
- B+62 Students
- C42 Students
- B+34 Students
- B-32 Students
- B-32 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses
Tawas Area High School Reviews
Tawas Area High School is located in a small town, so there aren't a lot of people to begin with. With few people classes are smaller and teacher are a little more interactive with the students. Some would even say Tawas Area High School is a second family. However being small is also a disadvantage, as funding can be a bit of a problem. If something is broken, sometimes it's broken for months or even the rest of the year. When a teacher is sick or leaves for medical reasons, substitute teachers can be hard to come by. Overall it's an average school having strengths and drawbacks.
The administrators try to solve conflicts by ignoring them. They over and under punish kids for handbook violations. They worry about students cell phones more than anything else. But the school is safe. Many teachers aren't excited to teach, but there are a handful who are. The teachers focus on teaching one specific way, instead of making sure all of the students are understanding. Some students who are academically challenged are left behind.
I moved from Alcona Schools because my mom got remarried and I wasn't doing very good in Alcona. When I first came to Tawas, I was nervous for what the future held. Now that I'm a senior, I know what I want to do and where I want to go; however, I think Tawas has become more strict on the kids which is stressing them out more and more everyday. All of our teachers expect us to be the best of the best and most of the time it shows.