Tappan Zee High School is an elite, public school located in Orangeburg, NY. It has 1,116 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Tappan Zee High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-101 Students
- A+80 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+72 Students
- A-61 Students
- A-60 Students
- A+59 Students
- A50 Students
- B46 Students
- B+43 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.30 responses
Schools like Tappan Zee High School
- A+Ardsley High School
- Ardsley Union Free School District, NY
- 120 reviews
- A+Tenafly High School
- Tenafly Public Schools, NJ
- 88 reviews
- ADobbs Ferry High School
- Dobbs Ferry Union Free School District, NY
- 116 reviews
- A+Pascack Hills High School
- Pascack Valley Regional High School District, NJ
- 112 reviews
Tappan Zee High School Reviews
In my three and a half years at Tappan Zee High School, I've had an amazing, intellectually stimulating experience. From freshman to senior year, I have witnessed monumental change, some good and some bad. I saw the school lunches slowly but perpetually deteriorate into worse food every year. I saw security get tighter, limiting the freedoms of students, especially the senior school. I even may have seen the school get less diverse. But, most importantly, I saw people change, and for the better. Because of the education and environment offered at Tappan Zee High School, students became more accepting, friendly, smarter, more accepting, and more knowledgeable about the world. While I do wish that the school lunches were better, or that students, at least the seniors, had more freedoms, I do not want to see the educational environment, that provided me my overall great high school experience, change.
Tappan Zee High School gave me life long friends and a sense of community. After attending college, i've never met anyone else that has such a great home life and loves their community and high school friends more than my friends and I do. I would like to thank Tappan Zee High School for teaching me morals, to be genuine, kind, and honest, in order to have the relationships with people in my community that I do. It also allowed me to be very experienced in different areas by providing many different types of clubs, activities, and athletics that I could easily be apart of.
This is a very safe school. There are security guards at all entrances and doors are kept locked. All visitors are required to show identification. There is some bullying, but there are programs in place to minimize it and it is made known that bullying will not be tolerated. The health program is excellent and covers a wide variety of important topics and the school nurse is great!