Tappan Zee High School is a top rated, public school located in Orangeburg, NY. It has 1,084 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Tappan Zee High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A108 Students
- A+85 Students
- A+77 Students
- A+75 Students
- A-67 Students
- A+63 Students
- A-62 Students
- A51 Students
- B47 Students
- A-45 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like Tappan Zee High School
- A+Ardsley High School
- Ardsley Union Free School District, NY
- 121 reviews
- A+Tenafly High School
- Tenafly Public Schools, NJ
- 95 reviews
- ADobbs Ferry High School
- Dobbs Ferry Union Free School District, NY
- 118 reviews
- A+Pascack Hills High School
- Pascack Valley Regional High School District, NJ
- 115 reviews
Tappan Zee High School Reviews
Tappan Zee High School is a large school where everybody gets to know each other through connectivity in the classroom, extracurricular activities, and athletic events. There is always a great turnout at sports games and for art happenings such as open mics for musicians and poets. Student involvement plays a big role in getting things done. However, the teachers are always willing to listen and provide for student projects. Overall, everyone I know has loved their experience with Tappan Zee High School and was well-prepared for college.
Tappan Zee High School is a very nice school with lots of opportunity to further one's education. For four years students are given help to follow any career path they may be interested in. Whether it is a career in music, engineering, teaching or art, TZHS offers classes students can participate in throughout their high school journey. Not to mention the many sports and clubs students can get involved with. The teachers and other staff are very friendly and will gladly help students out with any problem they may be facing. Overall my experience at Tappan Zee was great. Personally I had an amazing time, made lots of new friends, participated in sports, and learned quite a lot.
In my three and a half years at Tappan Zee High School, I've had an amazing, intellectually stimulating experience. From freshman to senior year, I have witnessed monumental change, some good and some bad. I saw the school lunches slowly but perpetually deteriorate into worse food every year. I saw security get tighter, limiting the freedoms of students, especially the senior school. I even may have seen the school get less diverse. But, most importantly, I saw people change, and for the better. Because of the education and environment offered at Tappan Zee High School, students became more accepting, friendly, smarter, more accepting, and more knowledgeable about the world. While I do wish that the school lunches were better, or that students, at least the seniors, had more freedoms, I do not want to see the educational environment, that provided me my overall great high school experience, change.