Tamaqua Area Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Tamaqua, PA. It has 643 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Tamaqua Area Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+52 Students
- B34 Students
- A+33 Students
- B+24 Students
- B23 Students
- A-22 Students
- A18 Students
- A+18 Students
- A18 Students
- A16 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 37 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Tamaqua Area Senior High School
- B-Schuylkill Haven Senior High School
- Schuylkill Haven Area School District, PA
- 125 reviews
- BMahanoy Area High School
- Mahanoy Area School District, PA
- 35 reviews
- B-Pottsville Area High School
- Pottsville Area School District, PA
- 159 reviews
- B-Hamburg Area High School
- Hamburg Area School District, PA
- 175 reviews
Tamaqua Area Senior High School Reviews
This is the only school I've gone to, as is the case for most students here, so I can't answer relative to other schools very well. However, in my four years at this high school, I felt I was able to utilize the tools available. Many of my teachers became friends, creating a better atmosphere for learning because we, as a class, weren't afraid to speak our minds. Administration has gone through a lot of change in my years, but it seems this change is for the better. The activities and traditions allow for school spirit, and there is an array of after-school activities. I know I, personally, along with other students felt like we never even left the school after hours (and we didn't! But out of our own free will.) The school has an excellent drama club and sports teams. There are some downfalls, such as the lack of a library and poor technology resources, but considering the funding the school is provided, it's not a surprise.
Throughout my high school career, Tamaqua Area Senior High School has changed my life for the better. The teachers' expertise in their individual fields have allowed me to grasp a range of topics and be exposed to subject matters I otherwise would have not gravitated towards. In times of required assistance, the teachers have never hesitated to lend a helping hand or give extra educational instruction after school. There are a wide variety of clubs, opportunities, and after school activities that promote positive social interaction and team building and leadership skills. All these things in conjunction have shaped me to be the best possible person I can be and prepare me for college and life successes beyond high school.
It is no joke when administrators say students can find an extracurricular activity that they like. The school has basically every major sport such as football, track and field, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, cheerleading, cross country, and swimming. We do not have lacrosse nor field hockey, but the school encourages students to put together organizations or teams. The school's clubs include yearbook, the school's magazine, chemistry, biology, ecology, drama club and every foreign language has a club. Most noticeably is the Ski Club. This club is not offered at most schools and draws a large group of students for six trips to the Blue Mountain and a weekend trip to Vermont. The school also offers several Honor Societies, if eligible. The band and chorus are appraised and often win many awards. Lastly, there are student government associations, councils, and committees to join as well as other academic related groups like the honor card or morning announcements. Whatever you choose to do, there is always a great environment in the activity! In my opinion, it is impossible to just pick only one!