Sussex Central High School
- Sussex, VA
grade C minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C minus
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade C
- College Prepgrade C minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A minus
Sussex Central High School is a public school located in Sussex, VA. It has 314 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 72% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Sussex Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B106 Students
- grade C+93 Students
- grade C+88 Students
- grade B+73 Students
- grade C+53 Students
- grade C+47 Students
- grade B+28 Students
- grade C+26 Students
- grade B minus26 Students
- grade A+26 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
No data available
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responses
- Basketball Games19%
- Football Games16%
- Military ball13%
- Pep rallies3%
- Spirit Week3%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 10 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$16,755 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 13 responses
Sussex Central High School Reviews
Rating 3.59 out of 5 61 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
The school was a pretty small, close knit school. Almost everyone knew each other there, as there were less than 300 students. There were a few problems with the school, however. Firstly, there was always someone in the school spreading lies or trying to intentionally start drama. The second thing I didn't like about the school is the lack of sports compared to other high schools. My high school only had basketball, football, baseball and track. I would have loved for us to have had more sports, such as soccer, or even lacrosse or field hockey. Overall though, Sussex Central High School is a pretty decent high school.
Sussex is a very warm and safe learning environment. The teachers along with administration are extremely supportive in assisting and supporting students academically. I have been able to participate in various activities, however, I think they could expand their options and give students more opportunities to become active at school. We are a small rural school but I love my Tiger family. Oh, I am proud to say that we are Fully Accredited!
My experience at Sussex Central High School was great! What I like about this school is that it is very family oriented. Also, the teachers are very helpful, not only with academics, but with other situations too.