Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Sunset High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portland, OR. It has 2,082 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 81% in reading.
Sunset High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-522 Students
- A-491 Students
- B303 Students
- A+257 Students
- A184 Students
- C+176 Students
- A+121 Students
- A+111 Students
- A+100 Students
- A+96 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.42 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.42 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 134 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.60 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.68 responses
Sunset High School Reviews
Although the school and its facilities are pretty old, the programs are amazing. The students are all very relaxed and though many have high goals and ambitions, there isn't any toxic competition as everyone is supportive of each other. The school spirit is also amazing and leadership is always willing to help out. The science department is amazing and the teachers are always willing to help. The business department provides many opportunities and the teachers are always willing to help too! The literature department is so kind, but the grading is often questionable. The art department is definitely my favorite as they provide you with lots of resources and opportunities. The IB program is a challenge but definitely worth it too.
My experience at Sunset High school was in-between good and not so well, I have been going to Sunset High school since freshman year. My freshman year experience alright, because I started school not knowing anyone or knowing where to go but Sunset has the greatest administration. They helped me navigate my way through the school, and always asked every student how was there day, or if anyone needed help with school to go talk to the counselors or principal. Throughout my high school experience at Sunset the great thing that happened to me was meeting my best friend. Not knowing anyone starting school we met freshman year, and we just connected I can tell her anything without her judging me along with other students, no one judges anyone for showing who they are. Now graduating in 2020 I will miss my sweet school where all my greatest memories were made.
Sunset Highschool will always hold a special place in my heart. I remember the first day walking into high school as a freshman. I was nervous, excited, and determined. Sunset Highschool turned nervous attitude upside down and now I enjoy walking through the diverse, lively hall of Sunset. The staff at Sunset High School is also what makes the environment so amazing. The experiences I have had with staff and other students have helped me learn at a fast pace. IB classes at Sunset High school have prompted me to improve on my skills in every area f study. It has also prepared me for college. I am excited to see what college brings for me, due to my wonderful experiences at Sunset.