Sturgis High School is an above average, public school located in Sturgis, MI. It has 923 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 34% of students are at least proficient in math and 58% in reading.
Sturgis High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+103 Students
- B+65 Students
- A54 Students
- A+54 Students
- C+53 Students
- B39 Students
- B31 Students
- A-25 Students
- B-25 Students
- B-20 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.30 responses
Schools like Sturgis High School
- C+Lakeland High School
- Lakeland School Corporation, IN
- 43 reviews
- B-Three Rivers High School
- Three Rivers Community Schools, MI
- 88 reviews
- C+Bronson Junior/Senior High School
- Bronson Community School District, MI
- 21 reviews
- B-Constantine High School
- Constantine Public School District, MI
- 56 reviews
Sturgis High School Reviews
Sturgis High School is arguably the best in our area, that does not however make it good. The school culture has gone down hill dramatically since my freshman year, an “I don’t care,” attitude has taken over. There are some really great teachers and some not so much. The food is gross, also has a lack of vegetarian option, however “trojan treats”, the cafe, legacy store, and vending machines sell food that’s edible (be it junk). The biggest complaint is the school wanting kids to get involved, inviting them into clubs then never inviting them back. This rids kids of the motivation to help change the school. The other big thing is the lack of transparency from administrators when something bad happens within our school, we’re all tired of things being swept under the rug.
Sturgis High School has always been a safe environment. I have never felt that I was victim to impending threats, and am always assured that our school's officer is doing his best to make sure that students feel safe. Besides the school's dedication to safety, I feel that a vast majority of teachers make students feel welcome at school. They make exceptional efforts to their students learning, an important trait in an educator. The school's major downfall unfortunately also lies with the teachers. Even though the school system knows that there are teachers who are unfair to students, they refuse to attempt to fix the problem. While the school has wonderful teachers as a majority, there are enough unpleasant ones that make students feel that they are less than what they are. I know many people who feel attacked in class and have had teachers humiliate them in school. It is unfortunate that this problem is at SHS, because the school has the potential to be all around wonderful.
I already talked about my love for the after school programs and clubs. I believe that they are very helpful in getting a student ready to pursue their future. There are so many extra activities that include, band, choir, orchestra, football, key club, leo club, and so on. You can even start up your own cub if sturgis doesn't have the one that you want. It was definitely a plus side of attending this school! They are very open to suggestion.