Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Stonington High School is a highly rated, public school located in Pawcatuck, CT. It has 664 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Stonington High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A144 Students
- B68 Students
- A+65 Students
- B49 Students
- B+48 Students
- A+44 Students
- A-39 Students
- B-34 Students
- B32 Students
- A+30 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.25 responses
Schools like Stonington High School
- BWesterly High School
- Westerly Public Schools, RI
- 152 reviews
- A-Wheeler High School
- North Stonington School District, CT
- 51 reviews
- B+Ledyard High School
- Ledyard School District, CT
- 161 reviews
- A-Waterford High School
- Waterford School District, CT
- 149 reviews
Stonington High School Reviews
I had an overall very good experience. Most of the faculty is very loving and cares a lot about all students, and the student government’s ideas are taken into consideration by administration often if there is something in particular the students see needs change. Academically, I was prepared very well for college. Our English department is phenomenal. Math department isn’t so good. Our student body was very involved, lots of fun clubs were available always. The climate was also good overall.
We moved here when our children were in preschool and we chose Stonington for its proximity to Providence, Boston, New Haven and New York and the fact it was a beautiful seaside town with good schools. Now that we are almost out of high school I can say I am happy we decided to move here. Funny but the kids say that one thing they wish was that Stonington had more diversity and that it's 'so white'. There is a strong sports culture here, but the drama club is first rate. Both my kids play sports, and the teams have been superior with great facilities and coaches. I also think the teachers do a great job and I am pleased with the curriculum. The guidance office has been less supportive -not a fan of that department.
Stonington High School provides a comfortable environment to learn in and prepare for college or a career. The school offers several higher level courses such as Advanced Placement Chemistry, Physics, Biology, as well as UCONN level courses in English, Spanish, and US History. The school provides challenging courses to prepare you for a college education. In addition to academics, Stonington has numerous sports teams for Fall, Winter, and Spring. Overall, at Stonington High School, there is a good balance between academics and activities. One way the school can improve is to become more involved in local and national issues such as gun safety, environmental awareness, and the oppression of various groups. By getting more involved, students can become more confident with voicing their opinions, fighting for something they are passionate about, and aiming to improve the world.