State College Area High School is a top rated, public school located in State College, PA. It has 2,318 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
State College Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+756 Students
- A+145 Students
- A122 Students
- A+101 Students
- C+68 Students
- A+68 Students
- A+63 Students
- B58 Students
- A+53 Students
- A-52 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.48 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.48 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 194 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.58 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.58 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.58 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.82 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.82 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.82 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.87 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.87 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.87 responses
State College Area High School Reviews
State College High School offers an incredible variety of courses, allowing students to customize their learning experience. From the auto shop to the student-run store, State High's courses and facilities provide a well-rounded education for all students. The teachers and counselors prepare students for college and the workforce. A plethora of clubs fill the classrooms after school, allowing students to pursue many interests and meet others. Located in the heart of State College, this school benefits greatly from sitting so close to Penn State. Dual enrollment and independent study opportunities are common among State High students. At State High, there is a large emphasis on college readiness, causing some counselors to be unavailable to meet with students regularly. The school culture of freedom and expression allows students to discover themselves while gaining a quality education.
State College Area High School is a picture perfect public education. It is located in a safe area with ample access to educational resources and opportunities through Penn State University. Not to mention, students can thrive in its highly ranked varsity athletics teams as well as its wide variety of classes. At State High, high schoolers can learn about possible future careers through an advanced career and technical program. An amazing amount of honors and AP courses are available to help students gain a rigorous education to prepare for college.
The school building is brand new! It is still under construction, but it has beautiful (and plenty!) windows. The food court is very nice and has many options! You can have anything from make-your-own-sub/nachos, soup, pasta, pizza or the special of the week. Really a step-up from traditional school cafeteria food!