COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
St. Mary’s transitioned to a Digital Learning Protocol in early March, and students continued to receive letter grades. We have maintained both synchronous and asynchronous classes, college and personal counseling support. We continue to follow the recommendations from our local and state Health Departments and are opening the 2020-2021 school year with our Digital Learning Protocol. Learn More
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
We Believe. Two words that inspired our 12 founding sisters as they welcomed the first students to St. Mary’s Academy in 1859. And today, we still believe.
We believe in developing the whole person, in going to college, in leading and changing the world. We believe in girls who lift each other up. We believe in the values of our Catholic founders, the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. We believe in social justice. We believe in the artist, the thinker, the dancer, the coder, the athlete, the servant, and the leader—especially the leader. We believe young women are powerful.
St. Mary’s Academy is Oregon's oldest continuously-operating secondary school located in downtown Portland. A nationally recognized school of excellence, St. Mary's is an established Catholic all-girls college-preparatory high school that readies students for the future.
St. Mary's Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-165 Students
- A-144 Students
- A-78 Students
- A+77 Students
- A71 Students
- A60 Students
- B+58 Students
- A-50 Students
- A+47 Students
- B45 Students
Digital Learning at SMA
St. Mary’s transitioned to online school in early March. We maintained both synchronous and asynchronous classes, in addition to college and personal counseling support. Each week we held a series of workshop offerings that focused on a range of topics including health/wellness, life skills, and building community through shared interests.
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.41 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.53 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.29 responses
St. Mary's Academy Reviews
Having such a wide range of clubs and extracurriculars ensures that you will feel like you belong. Having a challenging academic environment is really very rewarding. There is always someone that can help you if you’re struggling, as well. The academic support center has been a big help for me, as well as friends and teachers. The teachers here at SMA have your best interest at heart and will always find time to help you. My biggest piece of advice is to use the activity blocks and studies provided to get work done.