Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Spirit Lake High School is an above average, public school located in Spirit Lake, IA. It has 370 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Spirit Lake High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A77 Students
- grade A60 Students
- grade B36 Students
- grade B+31 Students
- grade B18 Students
- grade A18 Students
- grade B minus15 Students
- grade B+14 Students
- grade B13 Students
- grade A minus11 Students
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 13 responses
- Prom, Homecoming Week46%
- Spirit Week8%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,130 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 14 responses
Schools like Spirit Lake High School
- grade BOkoboji High School
- Okoboji Community School District, IA
- Rating 4.22 out of 5 32 reviews
- grade B minusJackson County Central Senior High School
- Jackson County Central School District, MN
- Rating 3.81 out of 5 32 reviews
- grade C+Harris-Lake Park High School
- Harris-Lake Park Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.25 out of 5 12 reviews
- grade B minusEstherville Lincoln Central High School
- Estherville Lincoln Central Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 46 reviews
Spirit Lake High School Reviews
Rating 3.71 out of 5 85 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Having moved to this small town from a much bigger suburb, Spirit Lake definitely has its advantages. Living and going to high school in a small town allows for a sense of familiarity and comfort you don't get in many other places. Whenever one may need help, teachers are always able and willing to get involved for that student's success. This kind of energy really allows for a sense of unity. The facilities at Spirit Lake are some of the best in the state; both the football field and Sami Center auditorium are incredible. Being able to practice and perform in such facilities creates a sense of pride among the students.
My experience at Spirit Lake High School has been varied to say the least. From the lows of the school constantly changing their graduation requirements to the highs of the wonderful faculty, the place turns out to be shockingly average.
Spirit Lake is a very open school. Although we are a very small school district, we see a lot of different things. With the new generations coming in we see more and more comfortableness with LGBTQ+ people. There isn't much diversity but I break that down to being a small town in the northern part of Iowa.