Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade C+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Spearfish High School is an above average, public school located in Spearfish, SD. It has 654 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Spearfish High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus149 Students
- grade B97 Students
- grade B+94 Students
- grade A minus54 Students
- grade A minus46 Students
- grade A minus33 Students
- grade A minus29 Students
- grade B+24 Students
- grade A24 Students
- grade B+22 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 38 responses
- Homecoming Week21%
- Ultimate Frisbee Tournaments11%
- Spirit Week5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 16 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,020 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 22 responses
Spearfish High School Reviews
Rating 3.81 out of 5 145 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Spearfish High School is a small, college preparatory school that excels academically. Although the sports teams are not winning championships anytime soon, there are many other areas in which Spearfish demonstrates it's ability. The speech and debate program is phenomenal, and the newly founded robotics club is good, as well. There are many different clubs available at SHS, and the faculty are always keen on helping students start clubs. Ultimately, Spearfish High has an excellent corps of teachers and adequately prepares students for their pursuit of higher education.
Spearfish High School is an overall good school. They offer many different clubs and activities, the teachers are dependable and kind, and the administration is professional, yet personal, with all students. They prepare the students for college fairly well, but they could offer more resources to test taking, like the ACT and SAT. During my time at Spearfish High School, there have been measures taken to increase the safety and accessibility of the school, which shows clear improvement and care for the students. There isn't very much diversity, but that is a very geographical thing. Overall, this school has improvements that need to be done, but the staff has continued to put the students first, especially during COVID-19.
I loved the teaching/learning environment it challenged me to do my best. Over the four years of high school, I was able to become closer with a lot of the teachers, which made learning super fun! I highly recommend the We the People program offered for seniors there, it was such a rewarding and fun experience. I would love to see more variety of classes and a change in the PE staff. Overall Spearfish High School is a great place to go to school and a great place to prepare you for the adult life in College.