Spain Park High School is a top rated, public school located in Hoover, AL. It has 1,661 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 44% of students are at least proficient in math and 55% in reading.
Spain Park High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A238 Students
- A207 Students
- A192 Students
- B83 Students
- A-78 Students
- B68 Students
- A+64 Students
- B+48 Students
- A44 Students
- C+33 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 115 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.51 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.50 responses
Spain Park High School Reviews
This school is considered very academic in the state of Alabama, and I observe that every day. Still, the students never really go to out of state colleges, and everyone seems to be following the same life pattern. The administration is also slightly disorganized, with emails and letters sporadically coming in at random times and having multiple parent nights. It would be better if information was better relayed (instead of word of mouth, have an information section on the website; send necessary information all at once instead of little tidbits; make all information clear and concise, etc.) and accessible.
Spain Park definitely had a hierarchy of sorts - both within teachers and students. Although (most) teachers were good at their jobs, some had more leeway with the board rules than others - and this was NOT based on seniority. This was definitely due to favoritism among the administration. The admins of the school themselves are not only cruel and unforgiving, but push their "mightier than thou" beliefs into both parents and students - if a student got in trouble for something ridiculous and their parents tried to appeal punishment, the admins would not hesitate. Academics were very good, especially core. Although, if you wanted to go to a trade school (welding, culinary, carpentry, masonry, etc.), you were not only still prepared for college despite not wanting to go, but you were also given NO trade skill options - no related extracurriculars, no resources to find trade schools, nothing.
Most of the teachers were very helpful and engaging in class. Some, however, tended to be rude and condescending towards students. In many of my classes, I found that most teachers were willing to really help students which is really great!