grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade B
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Southwood Junior/Senior High School is a public school located in Wabash, IN. It has 405 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Southwood Junior/Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B53 Students
- grade B50 Students
- grade B minus41 Students
- grade A37 Students
- grade A+33 Students
- grade B+30 Students
- grade B minus30 Students
- grade C+19 Students
- grade A minus18 Students
- grade B17 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 21 responses
- Friday night games52%
- The student section is known as the "Crazies"14%
- Pep rallies10%
- Volleyball games10%
- Southwood anthem5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,168 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 16 responses
Schools like Southwood Junior/Senior High School
- grade C+Northfield Junior/Senior High School
- Metropolitan School District of Wabash County, IN
- Rating 3.94 out of 5 32 reviews
- grade BWabash High School
- Wabash City Schools, IN
- Rating 3.96 out of 5 51 reviews
- grade B minusMaconaquah High School
- Maconaquah School Corporation, IN
- Rating 3.68 out of 5 87 reviews
- grade B minusPeru High School
- Peru Community Schools, IN
- Rating 3.65 out of 5 105 reviews
Southwood Junior/Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.09 out of 5 85 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I like my school the teachers there really care about the students and if you are willing to work you can learn a lot. They are always working even through the construction and difficult situations. A lot of the students are accepting of differences and really friendly. One downside is that because it is such a small school there aren’t a lot of choices for sports or classes but what they lack in number they make up for in depth we have a great partnership with a nearby trade school and you can learn a lot there. Another downside is that because most kids live in the country it is hard to do school online especially right now so most kids have to travel 30 minutes to an hour to find internet so they can do school during the day. The nice thing is that they provide computers to everyone so they have the medium to do school if they can get the internet. Still I love my school even with the downsides, no school is perfect and they are always improving to be able to get there one day.
The school's main crux is its incompetence in the use of its small budget. What little funds they have often get used on things like a lunchroom flat screen which never gets used and not on funding things like the now defunct theater department (of which I was a passionate member). Southwood's saving grace is that about 90% of the staff is competent and dedicated to their students' success. It also helps that bullying is hard to find in the SHS halls, with an effective guidance and office staff. Overall, the school is a collection of upstanding, hardworking people crammed into a building that's falling apart around them in more ways than one.
Southwood is an average high school. It doesn't excel in any aspect. Academics are average, like most schools. Teacher are like any other school, some you hate some you like. There are not any super special or exciting clubs to be involved in. Overall it is one of the better schools in the area, it's just small and boring.