Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Southwestern High School is an above average, public school located in Somerset, KY. It has 1,287 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 48% of students are at least proficient in math and 56% in reading.
Southwestern High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+238 Students
- B-225 Students
- B-209 Students
- C166 Students
- A-131 Students
- B-110 Students
- C103 Students
- B-91 Students
- B-83 Students
- B+64 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 53 responses
- Senior day28%
- Football games23%
- Basketball games19%
- Toga Day15%
- Baseball Games6%
- Spirit Week6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Southwestern High School Reviews
As a current senior at Southwestern High School, I have seen many new faces, whether they be students or teachers. Overall, my time at Southwestern has been incredibly memorable and enjoyable. Most teachers show their care and passion for their jobs. Most administration show respect and care for all students. Facilities such as the cafeteria and bathrooms are kept very clean and tidy by janitors, but become gross once students use the areas. As a music student, I have found much pleasure in the music teachers and teaching styles, specifically the band directors. Diversity is lacking at Southwestern, but I can see we have become a more diverse school year after year, which is something every school should strive for. All in all, Southwestern is a growing community of many different people from differing walks of life. I can truly say my four years at Southwestern have been some of the most memorable of my life.
My four years at Southwestern were possibly my favorite so far. Southwestern has amazing teachers, faculty, and an administration that gets things done. At Southwestern there is a very diverse scene, rather it be racially diverse, or politically diverse. Most everyone at Southwestern has respect for one another and they are very few big problems we have within the school.
Southwestern is a very good school. Not only is the building clean, but all of the teachers I've already had so far are so nice, helpful and very caring. I've only been here for 4 months, and I consider it the best school I've been to in my life. From a student' perspective, if we need help, we will ask a question, even if we can't ask. The teachers here help you if you are struggling, and gives you notes for the days you've missed.