Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepD+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Southwest High School is a public school located in Macon, GA. It has 874 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 6% of students are at least proficient in math and 12% in reading.
Southwest High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C117 Students
- B100 Students
- C+98 Students
- B+94 Students
- B+88 Students
- A+83 Students
- C+69 Students
- C+63 Students
- B-61 Students
- A+47 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 35 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
Southwest High School Reviews
I'm Edgar McCallum, and I attended Southwest High School in Macon Ga. When I first started at Southwest I was a sophomore. Every administrator and teacher were very diligent and eager to help every student succeed. My experiences at Southwest was like no other. Soon after I became a junior at Southwest I joined the National Honor Society being that I had a 3.4 GPA. All students in the class of 2018 had mindset that I couldn't believe. Everybody's maturity level was very imposing. Each event that National Honor Society hosted, I was there front and center. We also held fundraisers for the school, community parties/meetings, dental check ups, fun days etc. In conclusion, I would love to just thank Southwest for paving the way for all students regardless of any issues that they may trample upon.
I had a great experience at Southwest Highschool. I mostly liked how welcoming the environment felt and how the people (staff, students, administrators, etc.) One thing I would suggest them to change or rather improve is how they interact with and motivate their students. There should be more rewards & inspirational activities that will encourage the students to do better and/or their best.
One thing that I really enjoy is the band program and participating in many band events. I also like the fact that the teachers really want their students to succeed and they do everything they can to make sure that we pass. I feel like I always have the opportunity to come a speak with my teachers whenever I need to, and they'll be willing to help. The only thing that I think could change is how they look act students. I wish that they could treat students like responsible young adults. Rules can be a little strict here but it's only because our administration can't trust us to do simple things like going to the restroom and coming right back.