Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Southside High School is a highly rated, public school located in Fort Smith, AR. It has 1,537 students in grades 10-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 43% of students are at least proficient in math and 59% in reading.
Southside High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+645 Students
- A-639 Students
- B420 Students
- B247 Students
- B143 Students
- C+126 Students
- A119 Students
- A108 Students
- B+89 Students
- A69 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.47 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.47 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.57 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.57 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.57 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.63 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.73 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.73 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.73 responses
Southside High School Reviews
I love how the principal works hard to give us the energy and resources we need. For example, she makes sure that every student knows what is going in school, future plans, and opportunities for change. With our previous principal, the school lacked major school spirit. With her bright and cheerful personality, everyone just feels awake and energetic around her. She also emphasizes student voice, where anyone can be heard in order to have improvement and increase our satisfaction at school. However, I didn’t like the lack of compassion from some teachers/staff. The library opens up quite late and the counselors are almost never in their office when we look for them. Some workers do not care for the students; therefore, perform poorly with their job and not provide us the time and resources we need.
Southside has AMAZING teachers who are being overworked and blamed for the issues that the administration causes. The administration makes questionable decisions, and are made without any regard for how the students will be affected. Students and teachers need to be consulted before decisions are made. The students’ best interests should be put first but sadly are last currently, making for a miserable school environment.
Southside is a great school full of talented minds. Its academic and music programs are some of the tops in the state. With the new principal, student spirit is growing and the school culture is actually developing. Many AP classes are available with great teachers teaching them, especially the STEM ones. In terms of college readiness, students are essentially on their own; the school provides the education necessary for success, while students learn about the college readiness process on their own. Overall, a great school for those seeking academic and musical excellence.