Southern Garrett High School is an above average, public school located in Oakland, MD. It has 680 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Southern Garrett High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-62 Students
- C+62 Students
- A-45 Students
- A32 Students
- B+20 Students
- C+15 Students
- A+12 Students
- C+12 Students
- C+11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Southern Garrett High School Reviews
What I like about Southern Garrett High School is the athletics, teachers, students, and the respect shown by the students in many different ways. One can find respect in the hallways, classrooms, and sporting events. Students represent the school with sportsmanship and respect wherever they go. What I would change about Southern Garrett High School is the diversity, food, and some of the facilities. Southern Garrett High School is located in a rural, farming community where the diversity is low. I feel that diversity teaches students about different cultures and shows how other people live. The food is processed and unhealthy. There should be more salads and less junk food, including chips and snack cakes. The facilities at Southern Garrett High School are somewhat run down and many bathroom stalls and desks are vandalized.
I like their sports programs. They nurture an environment of character and responsibility. They value parent and community involvement. Our schools are very safe. Everyone must ring a buzzer to be admitted and there is a police officer in our high school full time, who is a friend to the students. Most of the teachers do a great job reaching all their students. I do think we need a new building or at least air-conditioning, with temperatures rising every year.
My favorite part about Southern Garrett High School was the theatre department. Mrs. White put her soul into making sure that every production was better than the last. I would love to see the curriculum for the classes change and emphasizing on real world scenarios rather than the core classes, such as math and science.