South Texas High School for Health Professions is a highly rated, public, magnet school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 733 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
South Texas High School for Health Professions Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B359 Students
- A+232 Students
- B186 Students
- A+177 Students
- A-122 Students
- B+119 Students
- A116 Students
- B+81 Students
- A+79 Students
- B+79 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.29 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.29 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 117 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.45 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.45 responses
Schools like South Texas High School for Health Professions
- A+The Science Academy of South Texas
- South Texas Independent School District, TX
- 289 reviews
- A-Early College High School
- Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 122 reviews
- A-Robert Vela High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 137 reviews
- A-Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 100 reviews
South Texas High School for Health Professions Reviews
South Texas High School for Health Professions is an outstanding school where I am able to learn and thrive to be the best I can be. They teach students in a very creative and fun way, which increases the students love to learn new information. Unlike other school, South Texas High School for Health Professions teaches and demonstrates medical equipment and procedures for future healthcare providers and make them think about their future. I certainly recommend this fantastic school to those who want to go to a school to learn, be successful, and be prosperous!
Starting freshman year at South Texas High School for Health Professions, also known as Med High, was one of the smartest decisions I've made for myself. Med High is very academic based, aiming highly towards college. The teachers work to make sure each and every student understands helping during morning tutoring, lunch and even after school. Our principal listens to our voices and opinions rather than blow us off because we were only freshman when we had some suggestions about how we'd like the school to change. That being said, Med high does not have big sports teams or a music related activity such as band, because of that some students feel the school is too academic based, but there is after school clubs that do allow you to meet with other people and form friendships. The school even provides community service hours by letting you know where there is an event where you can help out. In the end, I'm glad I choosed Med High for my High School experience
South Texas High School for Health Professions prepares their students through extensive vigorous courses, and provides college exceptions from their students. The teachers at this school care greatly for their students, and motivate us to do well with our school work. This school also focuses on careers going into the medical field, and provides great resources for preparing us for what is to be expected when working at a healthcare facility. This school also has plenty of extra-curricular activities an clubs that all students can participate in. Such clubs and organizations include, HOSA, UIL, KOM, Student Council, etc. This school also has a wide range of diversity among its students.