Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
South Tama County High School is a public school located in Tama, IA. It has 474 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 72% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
South Tama County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+80 Students
- A70 Students
- A61 Students
- B-55 Students
- B24 Students
- B22 Students
- B-21 Students
- B+19 Students
- B18 Students
- B-17 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Schools like South Tama County High School
- B-Marshalltown High School
- Marshalltown Community School District, IA
- 166 reviews
- CBelle Plaine Junior/Senior High School
- Belle Plaine Community School District, IA
- 34 reviews
- B-North Tama High School
- North Tama County Community School District, IA
- 37 reviews
- BEast Marshall Senior High School
- East Marshall Community School District, IA
- 46 reviews
South Tama County High School Reviews
South Tama has it's ups and it's downs. Faculty are fairly good at helping students! Although, some are more likely to put students they like more ahead, while the rest are on the back burner. Academically, it's average, PSEO's and harder classes are more than likely to go to the students who's families have the most money, as are key varsity positions and other positions of power within the student body. Athletically the school is about what she, with a team coming out victorious every other year, depending. Diversity is pretty big around south Tama but it's not all that celebrated or that big of a deal.
South Tama High School has its pros and cons. The school has so much diversity and is awesome to see that they take pride it it. People from all different backgrounds can succeed. The classes are taught well by good teachers and because of the small community, students are able to form connections more easily with teachers. I do think that the fine arts are overlooked a lot by the sports programs, even though some years they do better. The lack of support for kids in choir, band, and speech can be upsetting at times, but I do see the school making steps to improve it. South Tama has many people who are involved in a variety of activities from athletics (like football, track, and soccer) to fine arts (like band, choir, plays, and speech) to other activities (like student council, FFA, and leadership). Overall, I believe that South Tama is a good school with a great future ahead.
My experience at South Tama County High School was full of diversity and overcoming boundaries. There are so many cultures in the community and the school does a great job of taking pride in that. The amount of activities in this area where very limited when I was a freshman. I took part in the leadership seminar class and we pushed for new ideas and ‘The Trojan Way’ to become a way to come together as students and staff at South Tama. It is a small town so the community tends to be involved in everything especially the drama that happens at the high school, since it is the heart of the community.