South Tahoe High School
- SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
South Tahoe High School is an above average, public school located in SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA. It has 1,139 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 30% of students are at least proficient in math and 54% in reading.
South Tahoe High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus160 Students
- grade A125 Students
- grade B118 Students
- grade A+109 Students
- grade B+109 Students
- grade A+108 Students
- grade A+97 Students
- grade A93 Students
- grade A88 Students
- grade A88 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near South Tahoe High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 62 responses
- Pep Rallies15%
- Sport game10%
- The drama department is amazing8%
- Club events6%
- Homecoming Parade5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 24 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 35 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,769 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 39 responses
South Tahoe High School Reviews
Rating 3.59 out of 5 256 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
South Tahoe High School offers a very enriching, educational environment with a beautiful campus to match. The teachers at the school are very compassionate and willing to teach the required material, however, it is sometimes hard to communicate with faculty and staff about issues. There is a variety of extracurricular activities offered, ranging from sports to theater, however, some programs are more underfunded than others. All in all, though, my personal experience at STHS has been great, but I think there's always room for improvement in regards to the educational material being taught; there could be more interactive work. The overall community surrounding South Tahoe High School is extremely supportive and full of school pride, it's especially evident during homecoming season. I've made so many create connections and memories with my fellow peers and teachers, and I really am appreciative of all the opportunities that I was provided throughout my attendance here.
STHS is lacking in a few key areas, including college readiness and school spirit/culture. The most school spirit you will see is at football and boys basketball games, but other than that, unless a sports team is in playoffs, there is not much spirit. Counselors are flooded with kids, and I think it is safe to say that most admin is focused on getting as many kids to graduate as possible (not a bad thing) whilst forgetting to help high-achieving kids reach their goals. There are some fantastic teachers at STHS, especially as you get into higher grades with AP classes, but then arises another problem: the lack of challenging classes offered. Overall, STHS is an average school in most areas, but if you get the right teachers, you can get an above average education.
My experience here has been 1 of an odd one because I transferred the day before the school did their COVID-19 lockdown. I transferred in the middle of my junior year and while it was a difficult time, the staff, especially the teachers, were incredibly helpful when it came to my transition to a new school and home environment. From my single day on campus it looked absolutely stunning, almost like a community college campus. My only criticism (for someone who has yet to be taught on campus, so take this all with a grain of salt) is that the counselor I had wasn't exactly the most responsive. Last year I was put into the wrong math class without knowing, and this year it took a lot of back and forth to get my schedule sorted out to something I felt satisfied with. It took a lot of repetitive emailing that most of the time wasn't answered. Communication with students needs a bit of work.