South Spencer High School is a public school located in Rockport, IN. It has 407 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 57% in reading.
South Spencer High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B87 Students
- A83 Students
- A+53 Students
- B+46 Students
- B-46 Students
- B-41 Students
- A-38 Students
- A-24 Students
- B24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.16 responses
Schools like South Spencer High School
- A-Heritage Hills High School
- North Spencer County School Corporation, IN
- 115 reviews
- BHancock County High School
- Hancock County Public Schools, KY
- 69 reviews
- A-Castle High School
- Warrick County School Corporation, IN
- 339 reviews
- A-Daviess County High School
- Daviess County Public Schools, KY
- 349 reviews
South Spencer High School Reviews
South Spencer High School is a great place to go to school. Being involved in clubs and sports is a good way to stay involved in everything. Clubs help you show school spirit and get lots of others involved. The teachers push you and help you get ready for college. It is a small school so you know everybody, so it’s nice having people other than your teachers to help you out with your school work and other activities going on.
I'd like to see a wider variety of options in basic core courses like math, science, English, and especially world languages. Currently South Spencer only offers Spanish. I went to Europe just recently and realized that learning a larger language like German or Italian would've been more helpful since place I would like to visit again one day don't speak Spanish. I'd also like to see a larger science section. Currently we have Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Honors Science, and AP Biology, as well as AP Chemistry, and Earth and Space science only offered some years. I think if we varied sciences out to classes like a detective science we used to have to help kids planning to go in detective or CSI type work. I feel like it would help broaden the job interests and opportunities for the kids at South Spencer.
South Spencer is decent enough in terms of a place to get a diploma but not much else. New administration over the past couple years has greatly altered the school's dynamic, though not necessarily improved it. A budget cut for academics and certain fundraisers for the arts having been taken away leaves the school very sports-based and unfun for anyone unatheletic. Very few AP classes are offered and pep-rallies have become mandatory to attend. The main problem with this set up? all of South Spencer's sports teams are terrible. you think an 8 season losing slump would be enough to tell the sports-focused school board this, but unfortunately school funding has and will continue to be shoveled into sports programs and cuts for art and academics will continue.