Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
South Side High School is a highly rated, public school located in Rockville Centre, NY. It has 1,087 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
South Side High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-103 Students
- A+92 Students
- A88 Students
- A78 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+75 Students
- A64 Students
- A-59 Students
- A+57 Students
- A+55 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 36 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like South Side High School
- A-Oyster Bay High School
- Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District, NY
- 69 reviews
- A+Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District, NY
- 255 reviews
- A+Bethpage Senior High School
- Bethpage Union Free School District, NY
- 180 reviews
- A+Lynbrook Senior High School
- Lynbrook Union Free School District, NY
- 156 reviews
South Side High School Reviews
South Side High School is a very stressful yet welcoming environment. Being a part of the South Side community has positively impacted my high school career and I do not think I would have had such a positive experience at any other school. There are so many sports and clubs to get involved in as well as many different class options on different levels. At South Side, I would like to see a change in the guidance that is available to the students. It is definitely there already I just feel that it could improve.
I feel like my high school is wonderful. I feel academically challenged in some of my classes with some advanced courses. There are tons of opportunities for sports, clubs and I am planning on doing more in the future. If I could change anything at the school, I would probably like to see honors courses or AP classes as we are an IB type school and the program is only available for juniors and seniors. Over than that, the school is inclusive of all people and I’m very thankful and lucky to go to such a great school
There is a major emphasis on education, education, education. Being one of the few IB schools on Long Island makes the school unique- in both its benefits, and its downfalls. Course selection can become very restrictive and limited come time for senior year, and the stress inflicted by the rigor of the IB program can be rough for some. In terms of extracurriculars, the school is packed with them, so much so that some may get in the way of others (in terms of scheduling).