South Side High School is a highly rated, public school located in Rockville Centre, NY. It has 1,076 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
South Side High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-91 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+66 Students
- A-65 Students
- A62 Students
- A+56 Students
- A-56 Students
- A56 Students
- A+55 Students
- A+48 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 36 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like South Side High School
- AOyster Bay High School
- Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District, NY
- 65 reviews
- A+Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District, NY
- 237 reviews
- ABethpage Senior High School
- Bethpage Union Free School District, NY
- 168 reviews
- A+Lynbrook Senior High School
- Lynbrook Union Free School District, NY
- 143 reviews
South Side High School Reviews
It’s alright but it has all the failing of every other public school, lack of individual attention, the kids suck, lack of mental health attention, stressful, trying to commodify us the best way possible. But luckily in this town we have a decent bit of money and helicopter parents, so they tend to get things done and make this school just slightly better, ofc just for their priorities but sometimes it works out for you too.
The education you get here is one of the best. I felt very prepared going into college and at no point did I feel that my college courses were too difficult to handle. The school had helped me obtain a wonderful work ethic that makes me stand out to my college professors. Although the IB program was definitely a struggle, I feel that it had helped me fulfill many of my general education requirements by allowing me to bring in a semesters worth of credits into college. The school can feel very cliquey, but eventually you will find your way. Join any activities that you have any interest in and you will meet great people within them.
Overall positive experience, unless otherwise stated in this review I have no complaints. School spirit is lacking, the school culture seems to value personal achievement resulting in a student body more involved with themselves than each other. Largely a competent and helpful body of teachers, with very few incompetent instructors (though they do exist). Great four years overall, very little I would change.