Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB+
South Portland High School is an above average, public school located in South Portland, ME. It has 905 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 33% of students are at least proficient in math and 54% in reading.
South Portland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B124 Students
- C+86 Students
- A+62 Students
- C+62 Students
- A-61 Students
- B-54 Students
- A+49 Students
- A-49 Students
- A+40 Students
- C+32 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 37 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Schools like South Portland High School
- C+Biddeford High School
- Biddeford Public Schools, ME
- 82 reviews
- C+Westbrook High School
- Westbrook Public Schools, ME
- 59 reviews
- B+Portland High School
- Portland Public Schools, ME
- 124 reviews
- B-Windham High School
- Regional School Unit No. 14 (MSAD 14), ME
- 193 reviews
South Portland High School Reviews
As someone who has been to about eight or nine different schools, SOPO is among the best. The class selection is astounding and the number of electives is truly something to be amazed by. The opportunity presented through electives is truly a beautiful thing—I’ve learned woodworking, film photography, multiple types of art forms, psychology, anatomy, creative writing, animation/game design, and many other classes I never thought I’d be able to take in High School. Our students are ambitious and have brought forth many changes over the years, such as changing the grading system to something that was unfair and predictive instead of reflective to a system that was more realistic to the real world through respectful protest and discussion. This school is pretty great in comparison to others around the country.
Their resources for those suffering from mental health is impeccable. However, their overall communication is renowned for its ability to consistantly disappoint. Food is horrible and lacks any depth of flavor, is meant only to provide substance for students for a short time. Their campus is beautiful with the exception of the bathrooms, very spacious and well kept. The teachers for the most part try their best to make sure each student succeeds, at least in AP or Honors classes. CP classes are treated with disregard and are expected to fail with nothing do be done about it. Punishment is not given out as strictly as it should be to students who skip class to smoke in the bathrooms or even have sex in the unmonitored portions of the school. I wish staff would take more time to monitor students to ensure their wellbeing and success.
South Portland High School has offered me a safe place to learn and obtain information. Unlike other high school students, our aesthetically pleasing building does not make me feel like I am sitting in a jail all day long, and also provides me with a safe and functioning facility. The administration and faculty care about the success of the students and offer as many resources as they can. They introduce multiple styles of learning to appeal to each student and to each brain. The students bare open minds and accept each student in our widely diverse school, educating themselves on social topics they might not understand instead of discriminating against them. The one fault within the school that I am passionate about is the grading system. The state recently required the district to move into proficiency based grading, creating a 1-4 scale. I have found that the teachers have not been trained properly on how to use it, which is frustrating for students who are paying the price.