South Portland High School is an above average, public school located in South Portland, ME. It has 887 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 60% in reading.
South Portland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+95 Students
- C+67 Students
- A+47 Students
- A-47 Students
- B42 Students
- C+40 Students
- A+36 Students
- A-35 Students
- A+30 Students
- B-24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like South Portland High School
- C+Biddeford High School
- Biddeford Public Schools, ME
- 71 reviews
- C+Westbrook High School
- Westbrook Public Schools, ME
- 51 reviews
- A-Portland High School
- Portland Public Schools, ME
- 105 reviews
- B-Windham High School
- Regional School Unit No. 14 (MSAD 14), ME
- 177 reviews
South Portland High School Reviews
South Portland High School has offered me a safe place to learn and obtain information. Unlike other high school students, our aesthetically pleasing building does not make me feel like I am sitting in a jail all day long, and also provides me with a safe and functioning facility. The administration and faculty care about the success of the students and offer as many resources as they can. They introduce multiple styles of learning to appeal to each student and to each brain. The students bare open minds and accept each student in our widely diverse school, educating themselves on social topics they might not understand instead of discriminating against them. The one fault within the school that I am passionate about is the grading system. The state recently required the district to move into proficiency based grading, creating a 1-4 scale. I have found that the teachers have not been trained properly on how to use it, which is frustrating for students who are paying the price.
South Portland High School is a good school in a community that cares about their kids. The parents are involved and feel comfortable speaking with the school administrators. The guidance office does their best to get the students prepared for college. The high school teachers are engaging and supportive of the students that want to succeed. Opportunities to volunteer are available to all students. The school lunches are varied and provide many options for students. Senior class students, with satisfactory grades, are allowed to leave campus for lunch. If they have study halls firs thing in the morning or at the end of the day, they can have late start or early release options.
My high school experience has been great! Being involved in different activities and having a tight group of friends has definitely made it better. This school is very accepting of all types of people and there are many personalities at this school so you will be able to get a long with at least one person if not everyone. Going to sporting events and supporting the musical are fun things to look forward to, personally I enjoy soccer games the most because I played all four years here. High school, at least here, is not like the movies! There's no mean girls, or bullies that everyone knows of and it's also not as fun and crazy as the movies make it out to be. Overall, I've loved my time in high school.