South Pointe High School is an above average, public, magnet school located in Rock Hill, SC. It has 1,362 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 71% of students are at least proficient in math and 69% in reading.
South Pointe High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A269 Students
- A212 Students
- B+209 Students
- B+191 Students
- B142 Students
- C-120 Students
- B110 Students
- B106 Students
- B-83 Students
- A+79 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 82 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Schools like South Pointe High School
- B+Northwestern High School
- Rock Hill Schools, SC
- 404 reviews
- B-Rock Hill High School
- Rock Hill Schools, SC
- 372 reviews
- A-Lewisville High School
- Chester County School District, SC
- 111 reviews
- B+York Comprehensive High School
- York School District No. 1, SC
- 238 reviews
South Pointe High School Reviews
The administration was distant and acted like it was a burden for them to have “deal” with us, even though it was their job and they were the ones getting paid for it. Some of the teachers truly cared about the students while others were clearly only there to get a paycheck and leave. There were many fights, and several lockdowns during the almost 2 years I attended making the environment feel very unsafe and distracting to learn in. The classes did not prepare me for higher education. Members of the sports teams were always given special attention or favors and football was the only thing anyone cared about. There was always an issue with my class schedule and the guidance counselor was always rude when it came to dealing with my schedule becuase I transferred and it made it difficult on him. Overall, its was my least favorite of the three high schools I attended.
The teachers at South Pointe are (from my experience) very passionate about their work. Most classes are very engaging and generally enjoyable. However, the school culture is hostile and students don't get to meet often with counselors and staff, so there is a little bit of a disconnection and lack of guidance.
As an alumna from South Pointe, I have many great things to say about the school. South Pointe was the place where I was able to grow academically, socially, personally, and religiously. South Pointe is full of remarkable individuals. The teachers, administration, and staff all truly care for each other and for the student body. Some of the nicest people I've ever met work as custodians at South Pointe. Those who attend South Pointe as students may not realize it in their youthfulness, but that silly slogan, "Live the South Pointe Way: Integrity, Community, Excellence," comes to life inside of each member of the South Pointe community in some form. While I was a student, I was given a multitude of opportunities to serve my peers as a leader, prepare for my future, enjoy my time as a student, learn, succeed, fail, learn from failure, and grow. Fortunately, I took advantage of those opportunities and have benefitted beyond measure from doing so.