South Plaquemines High School
- BURAS, LA
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
South Plaquemines High School is a public school located in BURAS, LA. It has 437 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 60% of students are at least proficient in math and 71% in reading.
South Plaquemines High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
No data available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus101 Students
- grade B83 Students
- grade B+79 Students
- grade B+71 Students
- grade B minus66 Students
- grade B minus54 Students
- grade B46 Students
- grade A+42 Students
- grade C38 Students
- grade B34 Students
View Homes Near South Plaquemines High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 17 responses
- Wacky olympics29%
- General assemblies12%
- Feild Day6%
- Field day6%
- Pep rallies6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 8 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$17,793 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 8 responses
South Plaquemines High School Reviews
Rating 3.57 out of 5 75 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
South Plaquemines High school is honestly average all-around. The teachers and administration are mediocre in terms of education and there is clear favoritism with certain students. Athletes get special privilege despite our sport teams being below average. Academics are mostly good and while the teachers aren’t the best (they lack enthusiasm and dedication) I still learn what I need to. Our school culture isn’t very prominent. Most students aren’t pushed enough to engage in school activities or show school spirit and the administrations makes participating in school events tiresome because of their strict rules that take out the fun and engagement. Overall South Plaquemines High School is slightly below average in everything besides the academics. South Plaquemines is a low B school, though, so it could b argued that even the academics don’t hold up.
South Plaquemines High School is a very small school with a current enrollment of about 450-500 students. It’s a nice looking school despite its size. However, there are some issues. My first issue is that there isn’t a large variety of classes offered to the students due to it being such a small school. Another issue is that I believe some of the teachers do not do a good job of teaching material well enough. I see that a lot of students seem to struggle. But, there are some good teachers. My learning experience here was a B+, I’d say. Nothing overly extraordinary or terrible. It was average in my eyes.
As a senior at South Plaquemines High School, I would say that it is a decent high school. The high school struggles to remain consistent with its faculty and activities due to its location. It is quite difficult to find teachers and other staff willing to work in such an isolated school. Because of this, the school lacks many clubs and classes that many other schools provide. Students attending this high school have very limited options when it comes to classes and extracurriculars. Despite this, South Plaquemines High School tries its best to give the best possible experience to the students.