South Plainfield High School is a highly rated, public school located in South Plainfield, NJ. It has 1,029 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 51% in reading.
South Plainfield High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A216 Students
- B-119 Students
- B107 Students
- C+93 Students
- A-76 Students
- A+75 Students
- A-70 Students
- A+67 Students
- B62 Students
- B55 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 44 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
Schools like South Plainfield High School
- B-Manville High School
- Manville Board of Education, NJ
- 112 reviews
- B-Union Senior High School
- Union Township School District (Union), NJ
- 437 reviews
- BDunellen High School
- Dunellen Public School District, NJ
- 60 reviews
- C-Barringer High School
- Newark Public School District, NJ
- 54 reviews
South Plainfield High School Reviews
My experience in South Plainfield High School has been limited because of the COVID-19 virus. But, from my experience, this school is plain ordinary. Of course, they have opportunities for students to serve their community service and many programs for students to learn. But, that is no different from any other school. However, the most extraordinary part of the school is the teachers. They make such an effort to develop a connection with the students and that is the unique characteristic of this school. They not only care about you, they make sure that you are striving to learn, not just get the best grade or a passing grade in their class. I have noticed this over my years at the school, and it is definitely something I will miss when I graduate: my connection with a selection of teachers. Not to mention the extreme diversity that that school consists of, which also makes it different from some other schools. So, this school is average with the exception of background and teachers.
South Plainfield School is is a welcoming school. It offers variety of different course for all students and opportunities based on their needs and likes. So far I have had an amazing sophomore year. The school offers many difficult course like Advanced Placements, and honors program. The teachers are amazing as well and help the student through its thick and thin. There are many courses like Ap research and seminar that is not offered at other schools. I it prepares you well for colleges and upcoming hardships that ya students have to face. The bullying policy is amazing too. We don’t have any tolerance for bullying and their are cops and guards to secure our safety. If I have the chance I would repeat it all over again,
I had a fairly average experience at South Plainfield High School. I encountered some very awful teachers that definitely did not belong in any school district, but I also did experience possibly some of the best educators I will ever have that have made me love certain subjects that I used to hate. Another thing I can appreciate about SPHS beyond its revolting bathrooms and cafeteria food is that it is one of the most diverse schools I have seen. In all of my classes there is a fairly good ratio of ethnicities and races. Also, in terms of college readiness, South Plainfield is lacking. Unless someone has the intrinsic drive to do well in school and begin to prepare for college and its level of work, they will not be prepared for college, because the classes themselves do not prepare one for college.