South Medford High School is an above average, public school located in Medford, OR. It has 1,737 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1. According to state test scores, 30% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
South Medford High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-268 Students
- A-257 Students
- B-236 Students
- B181 Students
- C+172 Students
- A99 Students
- B+90 Students
- B-73 Students
- B+56 Students
- A-51 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.43 responses
Schools like South Medford High School
- B+North Medford High School
- Medford School District, OR
- 194 reviews
- C-Central Medford High School
- Medford School District, OR
- 1 review
- BPhoenix High School
- Phoenix-Talent School District, OR
- 81 reviews
- C+Crater Academy of Health & Public Services
- Central Point School District, OR
- 26 reviews
South Medford High School Reviews
My experience with my school has been more than what I could've asked for. It's filled with supportive teachers that challenge me to grow academically and generally better as a person. Most, if not all, of my teachers have impacted me positively in some way by becoming helpful mentors and role models. In addition, they all genuinely care about me and other students, whether it's academically or general well being. Not only are the teachers and staff willing to lend out a helping hand, but the students are very supportive and helpful as well. The majority of students that I've encountered are courteous, friendly, and helpful to each other. It's an enjoyable and encouraging environment in all situations, from attending sporting events, performing arts, and academic events. The atmosphere is generally positive and there's a lively mix of culture emanating from all students and staff. I’ve accumulated many memorable moments from this school, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
South has a prominent support system for their students. Not only do they have great counselors that any student can see when they feel it is necessary. The teachers are also very helpful. Whether it is about your grades or something personal, the staff at South Medford care for their students and are always there for us. I started seeing one of the counselors at South named Kristen Schuch. In the beginning it felt odd, confiding in a stranger about my problems and my struggles. Over time I became comfortable and now as a senior, she is still there for me. She has also given me advice on my career, since I want to major in psychology and have my own therapist office.
There are some great teachers at South Medford High School-which is why I gave SMHS five stars for teachers. There is also a lot of school spirit that makes the school a fun place to be at. We have Milli Vanilli (a dance competition between the classes), Spirit points (the class with the most gets to go to six flags), and we rally together to help our Sparrow! Although the students and teachers are great, sometimes the administration can be frustrating. They try to be good but sometimes the district rules restrict them. Pretty much everyone is trying to make the school a better place. As our Activities and Leadership teachers say "Team work makes a Dream work!"