South High School is a highly rated, public school located in Downers Grove, IL. It has 2,655 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 53% of students are at least proficient in math and 50% in reading.
South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+237 Students
- B-215 Students
- B+201 Students
- B+184 Students
- A-173 Students
- A-148 Students
- B-127 Students
- A+119 Students
- A100 Students
- A+99 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.37 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.37 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 145 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.63 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.68 responses
Schools like South High School
- A+North High School
- Community High School District No. 99, IL
- 286 reviews
- AAmos Alonzo Stagg High School
- Consolidated High School District No. 230, IL
- 361 reviews
- AOswego East High School
- Oswego Community Unit School District No. 308, IL
- 440 reviews
- ALockport Township High School - East Campus
- Public School
- Lockport, IL
- 655 reviews
South High School Reviews
Downers Grove South High School has a very positive and welcoming environment. The staff is always friendly and willing to help you when you have a question or problem. I have attended this high school for three years and I am looking forward to this upcoming school year. My school offers many different types of resources that have been really helpful. For example, I am able to attend college presentations to learn more about a particular school and to see if I am interested in applying. There are also Math and English resources to help students build their knowledge in those particular areas. In addition, teachers are willing to meet with students to help in the morning, during or after school. Overall, I think this is a great high school to attend!
My personal experience with South High School has been one that's more on the pleasant side. Fortunately, all of my teachers that I've had were understanding and patient with me. They all genuinely cared about the well-being of their students and were devoted to providing as much support as possible. However, while I had a good experience, I know that the same unfortunately can't be said for others. There were some other students I knew who had very inconsistent teachers. When it came to those teachers, their behavior was either really nice to some students or really mean/unfair to others. In general, I think regulating behavior from teachers and making sure that they're treating their students well enough should be something that's more worked on. One option to get to that point is by giving students the option to fill in surveys on their teachers.
South has a lot of wonderful teachers! the classes offered here are super helpful for those looking to get into college and or are interested in different things. The counselors are also super flexible and patient, I've switched my classes so much to the point where my counselor and I had to figure out how to make it work and he helped me be able to fit all the classes I wanted for my senior year. Overall a great experience!