Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
South Amboy Middle/High School is an above average, public school located in South Amboy, NJ. It has 506 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 24% of students are at least proficient in math and 37% in reading.
South Amboy Middle/High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A55 Students
- C+41 Students
- B29 Students
- B-27 Students
- B24 Students
- B+22 Students
- B+20 Students
- B17 Students
- A-17 Students
- B14 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 10 responses
- Spirit week50%
- Basketball Games10%
- Play Productions10%
- School Trips10%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.5 responses
Schools like South Amboy Middle/High School
- BMonmouth Regional High School
- Public School
- Tinton Falls, NJ
- 141 reviews
- B-Plainfield Academy for the Arts & Advanced Studies (PAAAS)
- Plainfield Public Schools, NJ
- 58 reviews
- B-David Brearley Middle/High School
- Kenilworth School District, NJ
- 104 reviews
- B+Colonia High School
- Woodbridge Township School District, NJ
- 217 reviews
South Amboy Middle/High School Reviews
I have gone to South Amboy schools since kindergarten. Most of my teachers have been amazing people, including all of my elementary school teachers and 95% of my high school teachers. The small school atmosphere helped me both get to know my teachers and my fellow students. However, a small school leads to drawbacks in a limited amount of classes and a small mindset from many peers and even teachers. This has pushed me to move out into the world, but I will appreciate having the background of knowing what a small, close-minded town is like.
South Amboy High is not just a high school. The town middle school is also connected to it. What I liked about my school was how well the teachers were able to work with the circumstances given to them. They all adjusted to the new curriculum as it was given to them and they handled it better than most thought they would. The teachers were also very understanding and very respectful in noticing that not all students learn the same, they need different attention and learning techniques in order to obtain information. Something I wish would change is the administration. They care more about their image rather than the students. By administration I mean the school board, the higher up people making all the big school related decisions. Our administration would rather buy a giant light up sign to go in front of our school rather than buy new books or extra desks as our town is growing and needs more supplies to benefit the students who are there to learn.
I really love that school because it was a great experience because it has offered me many things that I never imagined would happen to me, such as singing in an auditorium , playing the piano and guitar, it is something i always dreamed of doing. Something that I want they change is that they separate middle school somewhere else because I feel that mixing middle schools and high school is kind of complicated because there are so many students. I really appreciate everything the school gave me.